Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

£20

Ganymede12

I've done a bit of number crunching and have found that spending £20 wouldn't shorten the time it takes me to save up for a Skyliner 200P dob. I was considering buying an LP filter:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/skywatcher-light-pollution-filter.html

I asked my Dad who said "£20. Do you really need it?"

Is the filter worth it or is there anything else £20 or less that would enhance my viewing more?

I reckon your Dad could be on to something....

The light pollution filters work by blocking out the yellow light street lamps. I don't what you have round your area but many places in UK seemed to have changed the lighting to white lights which the light pollution filter won't block.

Also, they may block out light pollution but that is still blocking out light which your current scope at 70mm probably wouldn't like.

How long until you get your dob? If you save that 20 quid you could put it toward stuff for the dob and you'll be in a better position to decide what when you have used the dob a bit.

i haven't got nay other suggestions kit wise though sorry

Save it. Filters only reduce the amount of light you are getting into your scope, so with 70mm of aperture, you'd have even less light coming in. By all means though, once you have the Dob get it as that will have much more light available, so you can afford to cut some out.

Is there any chance to try one out on your scope before deciding?

It would be a good choice for your Skyliner 200p Dob' but it's success would depend on your local light pollution. If it proves a good match you will think it nothing short of miraculous, if not you'll be left wondering what all the fuss is about.

HTH,

Steve

£20 spent now won't make much difference. Neither will the £20 you want to spend in month when you see the other thing you wanted, or the month after that... Add them all up, though, and in a year you'll have a dozen things you didn't really want / need and still be no closer to your dob.

Yes save up for a Dob, the aperture will make a vast difference. But the LP filters work even in pitch black skies. They still improve contrast. Bright white light may impair their function somewhat, but probably they will continue to work.

Hi ganymede,

i would say save your money and spend it on something for your dob. I got a lp filter a couple of weeks ago and i'm not impressed with it.

D.C

Archived