NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"Push To" rather than "Go To" - Has anyone any experience?

philsail1

Dear All,

Has anyone any experience of installing a "push To" system on a reflector telescope? I a have the Skywatcher Explorer 200mm Newt on a HEQ5, and am considering upgrading to the "Skyscan" "go to" system, but just wondered if there was a simply system?

Regards,

Phil Edwards

Philsail1

Yes, Captain Klevstov, I think this "Push To" arrangement has the technical name of "DSC" (Digital Setting Circles." It's where you have a small computer strapped or taped to the tube of the scope (or hand held) and two small sensors fitted one to the "dec" axis, and one to the "RA" axis. They apparently send information to the computer, tellling it where the telescope is pointed. You "dial" in a star, then instead of any motors moving the scope to the designated dialled in position, you "push" the scope their yourself, whilst watching the computer screen "counting" down until you are in the right position. (That's what I've read on a review anyway. I just wondered if anyone had fitted such a set up to their telescope - instead of fitting the usual "go to" motors.

Regards,

Phil Edwards (Philsail1)

BTW I,m about to order a "Moonlite" CR1 from FLO!

Heres an idea! Say for example you have a huge 16 inch dob ( i was fortunate to meet someone last week who has just ordered one for 2500 quid from Orion Optics) why dont you fit one of these as a huge finder and a VOILA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.sciedcenter.com/Skyscout/4513660316

I think its quite a good idea actually!

Comments welcome on pro's and cons

Darren :wink:

You used to be able to order these digital setting circle kits for telescopes. Each kit contained encoders and was specific for each mount. You aligned say on 2 stars and from then on you just looked at the readout. Problem was you had to look up in charts the RA and DEC of the object you wanted to find.

eg M31 - 00hr 42m and 41deg 16min

The modern GOTO systems are much easier to use so the old digital circles are now rarely used.

John

Must say, I tried the setting circles for a while and although it is fun to do and basically time consuming when you think of the very limited chance you have in this country of decent weather, I opted to get the skyscan and never looked back.

The computer push thing sounds very clever as does the skyscout, but the goto IMHO is what I feel would be a better option.

Thanks for your replies guys. Yes "Cloudgazer" you would normally use the setting circles to find an object - but you would still need to know the "RA" and "DEC" coordinates (which I use the excellent "Stellarium" for) - and that is what the "DSC" (Digital Setting Circle) set up would do for you - the computer would give you the RA and DEC setting for any given object and you act as the motors would in a "go to" set up, to push the scope manually to where the computer has directed - as you push the scope around the computer screen gives a countdown until you are on the object - No whirring motors or heavy power supply to consider. Apparently a company called "Sky Engineering" still makes the set up - and as JCM says they are mostly suited to "Dobsonions" - but they can be fitted (so the blurb says) to almost any Equatorial set up. The "Skyscout" "Stargazer" mentions - doesn't this just tell you where various object are? It does not guide the telescope in any way? (Stellarium gives the same information). I would agree with you "Proflight" that "go to" is probably the best option as it is custom made to suit a particular telescope brand. I simply made the enquiry with the hope that someone, somewhere may have actually fitted such a system to his/her equatorial mounted reflector! I will persevere with mastering my manual setting circles for the remainder of this year (as I don't like to let these mechanical things get the better of me!!), then go for the upgrade next year. I,I've come to realise that clear skies getting rarer and rarer it would be better to have a system which would allow me to quickly locate and observe several objects in a short time - rather than me having to squint at the manual setting circles in the dark!

Thanks for your interest - and replies. It's good to be able to talk to several fellow astronomers from different parts of the country simultaneously - Is the weather the same (cloud and drizzle) where all of you are?

Regards,

Phil Edwards (Philsail1)

Hi Phil,

I've got digital setting circles fitted to a televue alt az mount. I really like them as they are simple to use - quick and quiet! Works great with my refractor. The small box I have is the TV equivalent of the NGC max. SCS astro sell similar kits for some scopes. But before I bought one second hand I was considering buying an Argo Navis kit direct from the manufacturers in Australia - they do kits for just about any mount I think (just google it).

HTH

Helen

Even my old Skyglobe program gives the current Alt-az angles for any object you select. If you have setting circles on your Dob mount, you could use them to get very close to the object, assuming you had a computer by your scope. I think most planetarium programs give this information, no?

I was at a star party with a chap who had an orion 10" with their push-to system. It seemed to work very well for him. There is no such thing as far as I know, for GEMs. My next scope is going to have goto, definitely.

Thanks "Stargazer 1980," Helen, "Gaz'Oc," "Warthog" and Darren. I'll look into the "Argo Navis" system, and at the SCS Astro site. I'd like to know a bit more about the "Skyscout" too - can it be used to guide an Equatorially mounted Newt to where you want it to go? - or is the instrument just for hand held use?

Regards,

Phil Edwards (Philsail1)

I think with a little ingenuity, one can (I did) develop a push-to, with even a humble EQ3-2 (albeit in alt-az mode). The key seems to be getting ONE coordinate "right". A computer drawn azimuth scale (good to one degree), plus a digital level (good to 0.1 degree), plus hand-cranked PDA to find the coordinate works surprisingly well. An object is comparatively easy to place with a standard finder view (if it can be seen!) :wink:

After looking this up I was surprised to find that digital setting circle kits are still available. But they are not cheap - they need encoders , mounting kits , control boxes , power supplies if you buy all this I should think it costs as much ( if not more) than buying a GOTO upgrade for your mount. Could still be worth it I suppose if you have a non equatorial telescope like a Dobs.

John

Hi I have been doing some homework my idea of using a skyscout or similar as a cheap option to GOTO for my new DOB will not work :nono: because the gps system will be upset with the metal the scope is made out of so if anyone has a plastic 16in dob let me know. Never mind :wink: wood is always an option its cheap.

Archived