Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Andromedia Galaxy with Evostar ed80

Quatermass

Can't believe how long it's been since I was last outside, but last night was really fantastic. Clear skies and the milky was just stunning to look at. Decided to have a go at my old friend M31 with my Evostar ed80 as this was one target that I knew would fit into the fov of this great little telescope. This is 80 subs ISO 1600 with a few at 800 and shorter exposures for the core' most of them were 180 seconds. Unguided with my EQ5 mount and dual axis motors running on my battery pack. :smiley:

M31%2520Evostar%2520master%2520image%2520copy.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Richard, I stacked them all together this time but sometimes I will stack a small amount separately if needed. As I was imaging this from 1am on-wards it was quite high above me and in the nice dark part of sky so didn't have to worry about gradients. Looks like another clear night tonight best make the most of this warm weather imaging before the winter gets here then I will be out in my fishing bivvy again.

Mark that is a great shot, this has built my confidence that i will be able to get some usable shots with my zenithstar 70 on the driven EQ5

edit, so your another of us bivvy brigade lads

Looking good :) Last night looked good but mist came up and we had a very heavy dew. Not sure whether to go for M31 or get some more data for the Trifid. Last night was curtailed.

Thanks Richard, I stacked them all together this time but sometimes I will stack a small amount separately if needed. As I was imaging this from 1am on-wards it was quite high above me and in the nice dark part of sky so didn't have to worry about gradients. Looks like another clear night tonight best make the most of this warm weather imaging before the winter gets here then I will be out in my fishing bivvy again.

Is gradients all that would cause you to run them separately then? Sorry to have so many questions.

Here's another :) ... is tonight's image of M31 going to be even better? Guided? Different balance of ISO subs?

Good Job Mark, unguided too really nice to see a full frame of galaxy the dust lanes look really defined and the detail in them is great :) Good to have a nice clear night for once and I have not seen so many cloudless circles in a row on Astro Panel all year!!! Afraid my own attempts to take advantage and image the cats eye turned out terrible and after throwing away 40/60 mins decided the other 20 are trash too, oh well retry tonight hopefully with a better result!

Is gradients all that would cause you to run them separately then? Sorry to have so many questions.

Here's another :) ... is tonight's image of M31 going to be even better? Guided? Different balance of ISO subs?

Gradients are a pain to remove so best avoid light sources like the moon and flood lights if possible. Tonight I will be gathering some more subs for the Veil Nebula second part and just chilling out with a hot coffee and sitting in my beany chair under the stars of course :grin:

Good Job Mark, unguided too really nice to see a full frame of galaxy the dust lanes look really defined and the detail in them is great :) Good to have a nice clear night for once and I have not seen so many cloudless circles in a row on Astro Panel all year!!! Afraid my own attempts to take advantage and image the cats eye turned out terrible and after throwing away 40/60 mins decided the other 20 are trash too, oh well retry tonight hopefully with a better result!

Cheers Anweniel. It was great to finally get a clear night after such a long spell of clouds and rain thats for sure. Hope things go well for you tonight chalk it all up as good practise for the future hey :smiley:

Gradients are a pain to remove so best avoid light sources like the moon and flood lights if possible. Tonight I will be gathering some more subs for the Veil Nebula second part and just chilling out with a hot coffee and sitting in my beany chair under the stars of course :grin:

Oh that's OK then - I've got so much LP around here that I get gradients from all sorts of directions and they seem to balance out :)

I would keep at the triffid as it wont be around for much longer and M31 will be also the eagle and swan nebula are in a good place right now :smiley:

Good point - you never know when the weather will change - hot weather often means misty nights.

Really nice job on M31 Mark, it's a tricky one to get right - the dynamic range is wide on this target; but it's so easy to see if you've got it or not :)

I know it's tricky for you to see but I think you might get away with pushing the saturation up a tad.

Really nice job on M31 Mark, it's a tricky one to get right - the dynamic range is wide on this target; but it's so easy to see if you've got it or not :)

I know it's tricky for you to see but I think you might get away with pushing the saturation up a tad.

Cheers Spiky its looking like another nice clear night tonight so will get some more subs on it and add those to it as well, have got a horrible infestation of chicken mites to deal with at the moment nasty little things there chicken house is crawling with them so having got the pressure hose on the house I am not getting ready to set my scope up.

Archived