Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP for splitting double stars

I've become really keen on observing double stars & want something that gives higher mag than my 8mm ep. I was thinking that 5mm, which would give x240, would be OK and wondered if the TMB 5mm planetary premium ep from Astronomica would be suitable?

Thanks

Peter

Hi Jules

I was worried about the short eye relief on orthoscopics. The TMB seems much better from this point of view.

Haven't seen the moon for ages ! Where is it ?

I started looking at double stars because they were easier than DSOs in the summer but I've got hooked ! I'm not really into AP - observing is more my thing. I want to give sketching a go.

Peter

I thought the cloud signed an exclusive sponsorship deal with LOCOG, and they banned everything else from appearing in the sky.

Orthos are a good choice, but have short eye relief. However I found my astigmatism becomes less of a problem when exit pupil falls below 1mm, so it may worth getting hold of one to try out.

I've become really keen on observing double stars & want something that gives higher mag than my 8mm ep. I was thinking that 5mm, which would give x240, would be OK and wondered if the TMB 5mm planetary premium ep from Astronomica would be suitable?

Thanks

Peter

for better eye relief i would suggest the BST starguider over the TMB, or for a little more money the celestron x-cel lx gets high praise, i think alan at skies the limit sells the TMB range for a little less money

for better eye relief i would suggest the BST starguider over the TMB, or for a little more money the celestron x-cel lx gets high praise, i think alan at skies the limit sells the TMB range for a little less money

I bought the Celestron X-Cel LX 5mm last week and used it last night to split some doubles in a 4" refractor (giving 120x) and a 10" dob (giving 250x). I'm really impressed - it is a very sharp eyepiece. Split the double-double and Izar in the refractor very cleanly at 120x. It's my second one in the series (also have the 25mm) and I think their performance exceeds the price.

a lot more expensive but for double stars I'd not be without my 6-3mm Nagler zoom. a zoom can really make for excellent use of the prevailing seeing. I split Zeta herculis last night at 460x and went up to 612x.

a lot more expensive but for double stars I'd not be without my 6-3mm Nagler zoom. a zoom can really make for excellent use of the prevailing seeing. I split Zeta herculis last night at 460x and went up to 612x.

I second that!

Shane,

Is Zeta H worth having a go at with my 12 inch?

Alan.

I think I got it last night with my 6" refractor Alan:

It needs loads of magnification and steady seeing - it's pretty tough !

Should be within the grasp of a well collimated 12" though.

At £340 that's out of my range at the moment. But if observing double stars proves to be my main interest it's certainly one I'll aim for in the future.

Meanwhile I'd be happy just to have a clear sky !

Peter

I got hooked on the double double last night. I used my 3.5mm Nagler which gave me x257. The stars were amazing and fitted very nicely into the FOV. I should imagine the 5mm Nagler would be better for your focal length and whilst the price is a little steep (although I think reasonable second hand) the 82 degree FOV is nice. The 3-6 zoom sounds useful but with the reduced FOV I am sticking with the fixed focal length.

At £340 that's out of my range at the moment. But if observing double stars proves to be my main interest it's certainly one I'll aim for in the future.

Meanwhile I'd be happy just to have a clear sky !

Peter

understandable Peter of course. you can get them used for about £200 as did I.

I got hooked on the double double last night. I used my 3.5mm Nagler which gave me x257. The stars were amazing and fitted very nicely into the FOV. I should imagine the 5mm Nagler would be better for your focal length and whilst the price is a little steep (although I think reasonable second hand) the 82 degree FOV is nice. The 3-6 zoom sounds useful but with the reduced FOV I am sticking with the fixed focal length.

it's surprising really but the 50 degree field is more than adequate for most objects and in my scopes this means planets and doubles which are generally small in the field or the moon which is so large it's hard to lose.

• 1 month later...

Archived