hello all, im a little chuffed with myself as i managed to get my first proper astro photography shot, im pretty new to this so was wondering what people thought and to see if i could pick up a few hints and tip from people who have been doing this for years,

This single exposure shot I took last night using my new canon 60d at 18mm, 25 sec iso at 5000 if i remember corectly

post-21044-0-46934000-1342881085_thumb.j

Don't image but it looks decent enough.

Can see the nebula, no idea which one, any chance that you could say which.

Stars look a little round, but they are not trails. and I guess the round is either minor focus or limitation of the equipment.

For 25 seconds and first go looks good.

Probaly should have taken a further 10 at 25 seconds and downloaded some stacking software.

Several like that stacked would probably have come out very good.

Oh yes, how did you arrange for that meteor to come in just right ?

This was my last shot taken of the milkyway looking out to sea from my local beach, I have tryed stacking multiple images on photoshop but they dont line up properly.

Not to sure what decent stacking software is out there, I know about dss but that only really works if you use darks and flats aswell as your main shot and that is alot to get my head around at this moment as I have only just taken up photograhy ( and i thought i would just jump staight to astro lol ) dont get me wrong, I have done alot of research, countless hours reading books, watching tutourials and going out with the camera

thank you for all your comments, It has made my day. All i need to do is find out a way to sort out the noise problem and a bit more tinkering to fine tune the focus, but it is all a learning curve witch i am injoying

The noise gets sorted with longer exposures or - better still - stacking a bunch of shorter ones. Then you can lower the ISO setting on the camera (which is cranking up the gain on the sensor and introducing noise).

As said you don't have to use darks and flats with DSS. Next time, just take a few more shots and stack the lights in DSS and see what you get.... and then the adventure begins!

I will have another try with dss, i didnt know you can just use a bunch of lights on there own. tonight the sky is clear so should be going out to take a few more pics so should be able to play around with it later on, again thank you for all the hints and tips, as they say every little helps

Archived