Sagittarius mosaic finished.

ollypenrice

I've very much enjoyed this one. Four nights, two on the colour and two on Ha, in the FSSQ85/EM200/Atik4000 mono.

On the left is M24, the Sagittarius Star Cloud. The bright red emission nebula is IC1284 and SH2-35 is the vague stain of Ha to its right and a little above. There is an assortment of Barnard and VdB objects in there as well.

Total exposure time 11 hours.

In full; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=1976552810&k=6VrmBFL&lb=1&s=O

OllyM24-HaRGB-FINAL-Srgb2WEB-12-XL.jpg

Great image Olly. Who would have thought there is so much 'stuff' up there in the night sky?

Yes, I think that therein lies the charm of astrophotograhy. In the bins you can see the star cloud but unless you were EE Barnard you might struggle to see much more!

Olly

Nice new presentation, and a good capture of the Ha region, and how many stars are in there!! I would not have thought of doing Ha on this region. Its paid off. Very cool, and I think we had a view of this in the dob the first time I went to Les G.

Superb image (again) what gets me is the number of hours you seem to be able to amass on almost every image - envy shinning through!

...the local professional observatory has stats going back over thirty years and they open the dome on 300 nights a year and leave it open all night on 250 of those. Also at these latitudes the shortest night still has four hours of darkness. Plus we have had two rigs running throughout this dark time. It all adds up! l'm gad you like the pic. I really enjoyed doing this one.

Olly

Thanks once again for posting it, Olly. It's a stunning image and made it much easier for me to find M24 last night because for the first time I actually had a clear idea in my head of what I was looking for. I seem to remember thinking last time I was looking for it: "There are an awful lot of stars here. How am I going to find an open cluster in this lot?" Never occurred to me at the time that the "awful lot of stars" was the cluster! Even so at quite low magnification it was still filling the field of view and I had to work my way around the edges to get any idea of the shape.

James

Archived