Source for teflon and formica for dob bearings

JamesF

Can anyone suggest a source for teflon and formica suitable for dob bearings. I know there is a "recommended" type of formica, but I've no idea if that's just available in the US, so I'd be happy to have recommendations.

I think someone mentioned teflon tape from The PTFE Shop a while back. Anyone have experience with them or the tape?

Thanks,

James

I've bought spools of Teflon tape from plumbers' suppliers James, but only to wrap round shafts between bearing surfaces. I don't mean roller bearings, just plain collar-type bearings.

Then, I pressed the collars together to flatten out the Teflon tape aginst the collars' surfaces.

It make the working surfaces very smooth.

The tape is very thin, so I don't see how it could be suitable for a Dob base. There might be somebody who knows how to do it.

Hi James

I believe I still have some teflon in my garage, I'll have a butchers later, how much are you after, just enough for some pads?

I have a plastics dealer pretty local and he uses quite a bit of it. He often has off cuts I ponce, not sure he's on the "interweb" as he calls it. Bless the old fella :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's very kind of you, Steve. I'm just after enough for base and alt bearings for a 10" dob, though I'm quite happy to exchange beer vouchers for larger amounts if that's how it comes as I don't envisage this being the last one I build. (Not that I've built an awful lot of it when it comes down to it. More "assembled it from random bits and pieces collected from the *ahem* interweb" :)

James

Hmmm. I can't see any etched PTFE on ebay. I guess with unetched stuff I'd have to drill and countersink it for fixing with some screws? Or will it glue ok given a suitable adhesive?

I've just remembered that I might have some scraps of smooth strips of formica edging in the workshop. It's not supposed to be as good as the "lumpy" stuff, but perhaps this time around it might worth experimenting with if I can find it.

James

Looks like I need some more myself. Sorry James I must have purged it :( could've sworn I had some, oh well. Looks like I'll be getting some myself soon. :)

Sorry about that ( how embarrassing ).

No problem Steve. Thanks for looking.

James

I countersunk and screwed my 1/8" teflon strips.

As for the laminate material I used pebbled surface laminate, commonly used in commercial bathroom walls here. That seems to be the substitute material for the smooth ebony star laminate which is very difficult to find these days.

Telescope Service sell the Ebonystar in small sheets or pre-cut rings. Scroll down to the "Neumann" section.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/language/de/cat/c64_Telescope-Making-----mechanical-parts.html/page/2

Loctite Super Glue - All Plastics comes with the etching primer for the teflon. It's in a pen that's similar to a permanent marker pen which makes it easy to apply. Then you can just superglue the teflon in place.

Worth reading this post

http://bbs.homeshopm...g-teflon-update

John

If you contact NGC1502 (Ed) on this site I think he may know a source where you can buy teflon.Trev

I know of two UK sources for Teflon, I have purchased from both.

http://www.awrtech.c...scprod.htm#PTFE Scroll down for the Teflon (PTFE) they do various thickness up to 10mm.

Or give Barry Watts a ring 01507 363381, he does 3mm thick Teflon at 72p per square inch.

HTH, Ed.

Edit - If you ring Barry please do that betwwen 9 & 5, Mon - Fri.

Archived