NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So what to take

Cjg

The prospect of a package holiday to a small hotel somewhere on a quieter part of Corfu looks likely - we'll enjoy swimming and walking by day and clear skies by night - but what to take? Has anyone managed to take the 130P Heritage away, as hand luggage even?

The max 15-20 Kilo allowance is not going to leave much room for clothes, but the chance of taking a 5" away is soo tempting - any advice?

Cheers

Chris

The prospect of a package holiday to a small hotel somewhere on a quieter part of Corfu looks likely - we'll enjoy swimming and walking by day and clear skies by night - but what to take? Has anyone managed to take the 130P Heritage away, as hand luggage even?

The max 15-20 Kilo allowance is not going to leave much room for clothes, but the chance of taking a 5" away is soo tempting - any advice?

Cheers

Chris

Even in it's box, it's a pretty bulky item, and will take about half of your luggage allowance. Do you have binoculars you could take instead?

Even in it's box, it's a pretty bulky item, and will take about half of your luggage allowance. Do you have binoculars you could take instead?

Was thinking of binos, but really want to make the most of the skies, and that means aperture; was planning on packing clothes around the scope and leaving the box behind - am wondering if I could carry it on as is?

Was thinking of binos, but really want to make the most of the skies, and that means aperture; was planning on packing clothes around the scope and leaving the box behind - am wondering if I could carry it on as is?

Might open you up to questions, it will set off the metal detector ;).

Hi,

I took my ST80 to Rhodes last year with a small tripod, finderscope and a couple of eyepieces. I used it from our balcony to look at ships passing by off the coast and had a quick look at the full moon one night. Of course there was no cloud for 2 weeks and the views were stunning but I just couldn't summon up the will to look at anything else.

The best thing we saw walking back from the restaurant was a large brilliant meteor, one of the Perseids no doubt and we didn't need a scope to see that.

Off to Majorca this year, scope is staying at home as I can't see it will get used very much. Now I could get my C11 away that would be a different proposition altogether.

Amen with the C11, I have a C5SE, but think that to take that & mount etc there's noo chance. But the lure of dark skies in the warmth, with minimal light pollution....stargaze all night, sleep on the beach all day, rinse and repeat for a 7 days....

Chris

Hi Gjd

Is there anywhere or anyone out there who has a scope you could play with. Most astronomers are only too keen to show off their kit (sounds like a job for Google )

Corfu has an astronomic society So should be real easy (just don't mention the Euro)

Steve

Corfu has an astronomic society So should be real easy (just don't mention the Euro)

Steve

Oh really? Thanks, I'll get Googling, we might "need" to re look at the location of where we're planning to stay....Thanks, that's a great help

I took my old Helios 8x30 monocular to Majorca in may-small but better than naked eyes alone. I saw the 'mega moon',and also enjoyed a lovely view of Scorpio which was obviously about 15 degrees higher in the sky from back home.Even the wife was impressed,as the constellation actually looks like what it's supposed to be!

The Heritage is only 6.2 kg, so even with a 15/20kg limit, there's enough left over for the rest - think that's the decision made, just have to figure out how to pack it now.

Whatever you choose, do look carefully at your carry on allowance. You might get a scope in there. Unfortunately it seems every airline has a different idea on weight and size. But if it does help get a scope tube carefully handled, make use of it.

When you have found this information, take a printed copy with you. I have had to argue more than once with check in staff about carry on and checked baggage allowances. Sight of their own documents usually sorts 'em out.

Whatever you choose, do look carefully at your carry on allowance. You might get a scope in there. Unfortunately it seems every airline has a different idea on weight and size. But if it does help get a scope tube carefully handled, make use of it.

When you have found this information, take a printed copy with you. I have had to argue more than once with check in staff about carry on and checked baggage allowances. Sight of their own documents usually sorts 'em out.

Thanks, that's really useful advice. I will.

Chris

There seems to be a 50mm, 65mm and 90mm version. The FLO special was the 50mm, that link is too the 65mm equivilent. Cost for the 90mm version seems to be just less than £200

50 mm - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestron-C50-Mini-Maksutov-Waterproof-Spotting-Scope-BNIB-UK-Stock-52233-/221059192948?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item3378279874

PM sent to Cjg.

I'm heading to Corfu as well, and would be interested to take my bins and tripod. Be great if we could meet up with a local Greek astronomer/society though - anyone from Corfu on here?

Big thanks to MattGoo for the discount holiday tip off, got a great deal to Samos, apartments 3km above a small town on a wooded hillside, no light pollution. The 130 Heritage is coming with me.

any tips on what to look for?

who ever mentioned "scanning the beach in day time" made me ROFL, but Nooo :grin:

Cheers

Chris

Big thanks to MattGoo for the discount holiday tip off, got a great deal to Samos, apartments 3km above a small town on a wooded hillside, no light pollution. The 130 Heritage is coming with me.

any tips on what to look for?

who ever mentioned "scanning the beach in day time" made me ROFL, but Nooo :grin:

Cheers

Chris

Use Stellarium and input your co-ordinates so you can plan to see as many DSO's as possible (after all, Planets are observable anywhere, Messiers that are low in the Horizon here should be much higher in Samos, if my geography is correct, if not, use Stellarium :))

Archived