Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What should be my next filter?

In LP area and dark skies I would like to see planets, dso's better

Is there any filter which is advisable to enhance the view of any object in sky. Which filters are used by most amateur astronomers and for what?

1.moon filter?

2.LP filter?

3.Nebula filter?

4. any other filters?

I have used many filters over the years and certainly if you want to study the Moon its advisable to have a Moon filter. I have never found colour filters that much better for viewing the Planets although if you go into solar observing a green filter is recommended by some.

As regards DSOs I notice that you have an 8" scope so I would recommend a UHC filter above the O111 filter. With the UHC it will improve your viewing experience and things like the Veil nebula will be greatly improved.

Your next thread will be asking which make is best.

Mark

1/ Moon filter = schmoon filter, IMO waste of money, enhances nothing, why bother, just put some shades on of it's too bright.

2/ These work okay photographically, not too convinced visually though.

3/ These work. The only filters that really deliver, but they aren't cheap and they still work best from a dark sky site.

4/ Coloured filters draw very mixed reaction, some feel they do about as much as the moon filters (zip) others like them. My jury's out on them not used them enough to decide. I don't do much planetary observing TBH

If you are looking at investing in filters, then you might want to read this guide as an introduction to the different types and what they do. I would certainly recommend the Baader Neodynium filter (light pollution filter) as I found that it makes some difference and makes a difference on contrast during planetary viewing. SkyWatcher does a cheaper alternative that others have found useful but I prefer the Baader one as the filter comes with enhanced coatings that also help protect its surface, making it easier to clean without fear of damaging it. This type of filter of course is not a magic bullet and does not eliminate light pollution completely, but I have found that the benefits are noticeable enough to warrant the expense. There are some who will argue that it is better to observe without the aid of another piece of glass interfering with the light path but I suppose its down to personal choice and perhaps the quality invested in a given filter by the manufacturer. I would certainly recommend the OIII filter for subjects like the veil nebula and many other diffuse and planetary nebula, as it really does help highlight structure by blocking out other unwanted light sources.

If you have a bit more time to read reviews, you might be interested in this one where a number of filters are set against each other on different targets. It's fairly long but makes for interesting reading.

James

Moon filter is a "must have". I recently purchased a LP, but due to weather I didn't try it yet.

During this time of instable weather and not so dark nights, sun observation has kept me alive.

Baader solar film filter is easy to make and you can enjoy the sun.

Get a UHC-type light pollution filter. Works great on the nebulae in Cygnus, which are overhead right now. I'm with Steve on the moon filter. Unless you're having problems with halos or something like that when viewing the moon then don't filter it. The moon isn't actually that bright. You will light-adapt to it in about 5 seconds and thereafter you will get better views without the filter because your eye is able to pick out finer details at brighter light levels.

The Baader neodymium is a good all rounder for enhancing moon and planetery detail especially on Mars and Jupiter, it is a good contrast filter darkening the sky and cuts through LP. For the price it is worth buying as a starter/ all rounder.

Archived