My first scope, and the inevitable questions

Good evening all, my first post but I've been lurking & searching for about 6 months. 7 months of looking and changing my mind every week, initially it was a Skymax 127 Goto but when I wanted to buy there was a UK shortage of stock. So the savings increased and then the budget went up and a 250p Dob Goto was on the cusp of being bought last week, but guess what - no UK stock....

Then an advert appears on my local Gumtree for an 8" Helios dob & accessories, I figured this was an opportunity I couldn't let pass. There's very few semi decent second hand scopes turn up in my neck of the woods on ebay. I really wanted goto but maybe this is the right move both price-wise and learning-wise.

There's the odd ding and scrape on the tube but nothing major, the sale was a bit of a farce as the seller was selling on behalf of his brother and didn't have a clue about telescopes. And this being my first scope I didn't have much of a clue what I was looking for either, so a bit of a tyre kicking session followed.

This Helios seems slightly different to the Skywatcher 200p as it's 200mm aperture with 1000mm focal length so it makes in an f5 - whatever that means. Faster? So I need better EP's?

The seller didn't list an asking price it was 'sensible offers'. I offered £130 for the scope (searched ukastrobuysell and a Helios 200mm went for that), he came back with £150 for the lot and we shook hands. He seemed keen on my offer so I'm wondering if I've paid over the odds - is £150 a fair price for the scope plus:

Super10 EP

Super20 EP

2x Barlow

2" EP adapter

^^ I now realise that these would be part of the original Skywatcher scope accessories anyway. So I paid an extra £20 for:

Soligor PE-6mm fully coated EP

Meade Color Filter Set #1 - Yellow, Red, Green & Blue

After crowbarring it into my car ( it barely fitted across the back seat) I get it home and all seems good so far.

What are my best next steps? My thoughts are:

Wixey gauge - a quick look on ebay says analogue ones are £5 and digital ones are £25. Am I better getting the digital? Is the digital 0.1º accuracy needed?

Is the 6mm Soligor any good? What would be my best EP upgrade(s)?

I assume buying a Cheshire collimator for £25 is a definite?

The finder scope has one non-standard thumbscrew that just spins freely (might be threaded?) - should I ditch this and look into getting a new finder or a replacement thumbscrew?

Any other suggestions welcome, and as a lurker a thank you to the forum as the information on here has been invaluable :smiley:

That does not seem unreasonable for a 8 inch dob in good condition..

I would get used to star hoping before getting a wixey...Get a book like Illustrated Astronomicall wonders and use it to find things..

I would get a chehire collimater and get the thing collimated but you can use an old 35mm film canister to do it reasonably well if you are on a budget for now..

Not sure on the finder..they are relatively cheap to replace using astro buy and sell etc...

Now if we could just get some clear skies..

Try Saturn first!

Mark

firstlycongratulations on your new scope!

i owned a 6" Helios if its anything like that it will be an excellent scope, they do have a pretty reputation.

i think you will find that skywatcher and the helios are both F5, pretty fast and a bit more demanding on eyepieces than a slower scope, but it will be fine. £150 is a good price for the scope plus all those accessoriess.

I would wait before spending to much money on other stuff, apart from getting Cheshire collimator.get to know the scope and take it from there.

First off welcome to the forum. :)

Next. Whoa steady boy! You've just spent enough for the minute surely? Let's get out there and use your scope first.

Spend your first couple of sessions getting used to the scope and how it moves etc. See how you get on with the kit you have before you think about it's replacement.

You may find that you're quite happy with what you have for the time being. No sense in rushing out and buying something on the off chance that you won't be. :)

Enjoy your new scope.

Thanks for the responses :) Ok, I'll hang fire on any upgrades until I've used it a few times - I'm an infernal meddler and tinkerer y'see.

I forgot to say that although I have no reference point, the movement - although smooth, isn't as smooth as I expected. Maybe I thought these things glided at the push of a little finger. I think there's a Dob-Mob-Mod thread or group on here, I'll have a looksee.

I don't think I can remember the last time I saw a clear sky at night or day for weeks, it may be a while before I get a chance to use this thing...

Congratulations on your new scope - it was a good buy I reckon. I'd not go modding it or adding accessories until you have used it a few times. Then you can make decisions on improvements based on actual hands on experience for which there is no substitute.

Once you have used it your priorities may well change somewhat.

I would also recommend you get a copy of turn left at Orion!! It's a great books and can help you find your way around the sky!! And you don't tire of seeing the objects mentioned in it!! Also congrats on your scope!! :);)

Hi JayMax, well done for making a good decision, I go along with others above, start using it and get used to it, then think about any extras later once you know what your preferences are.

if your non standard screw on the finder looks like the one in the bottom if this pic

Finderscope950L.gif

then this is correct. the silver one is spring loaded and does not adjust, the other two are the up/down and left / right adjusters.

I agree that this is a good price for your scope.

buying a dob often means making a few mods to make it perform more efficiently. again this is normal and one of the things I like about them

enjoy your new scope and as suggested don't rush to spend lots more. a red dot finder and good star map would be my only recommendations at this point.

Yep Moonshane - that's exactly how it is, an yep I thought this was an aftermarket replacement. After browsing FLO I realised it's OEM standard fit - oops!

Cheshire collimator ordered, checked out the recommended books, and have gave it a bit of a clean. I think the previous owner might have been an enthusiast. There's a setting circle fitted on the base, and on the elevation also, and strings on the springs to detach them from the body for easier alt movement I believe. Plus door handles on the front and sides from B&Q which I don't think are factory fit. There's also a lensmatic compass in the accessory box, no idea how it works. I think this seems like a good deal.

Archived