Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Right Angled Finder for Canon EOS Cameras

I have a Canon EOS1000d which I use on my telescope. At present I use a cheap and unsatisfactory rightangled finder to aid viewing at awkward angles.

I need something a step up optically from what I have now. The ideal would be a Canon rightangled Viewfinder Model C but this is prohibitivly expensive. I seemed to remember someone using an Olympus Varimagnifier right angled finder on a EOS 350. I can get an 2nd hand Olympus for circa £30-40 whereas the Canon is nearer £200.

So got to wondering if the Olympus Varimaginfier finder would fit my 1000d ?

Thanks

Frederick

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Canon Angle finder and use it and a laptop seperatley and together and find it usefull espescially when the laptop has other stuff running, and when using just the camera

on tripod.

It is also a universall fitting and fits Nikon etc, but expensive I guess.

Also I understand that running the laptop utility for long periods causes the sensor to get progressively hotter producing more noise.

Davey-T

You'll get more noise running the camera with the Liveview on using an Anglefinder due to the heat generated by the screen.

Running it through the computer leaves the camera screen off and doesn't add more noise .

Using BYEOS or APT you can set a delay between shots to allow the sensor to cool down again , and you can monitor exposure/focus etc .

Yes I agree....when you have a laptop or PC available.

I think there are limited options available to those NOT using a PC while imaging with a DSLR.

(many of the spectroscopy guys just use a Star Analyser grating on the nosepiece infront of the DSLR with no PC......)

Thanks guys

I take the point on using my laptop. But sometimes its not conveniant. So in responce to my original question I have bit the bullet and ordered an Olympus Right angled viewfinder. I should have said my other passions is close up photography.

Thanks Frederick :grin:

Well I must be very fortunate! I picked up a Seagull angle finder last week for £1 from a closing photography store. I notice they are going for £39 on Amazon so that's the second amazing bargain in as many weeks! Don't know whether this is a step up from the Op though. There is also an Opteka one and both come up when you search on 'Seagull angle finder'.

Well considering the price of the genuine Canon article at £190 second hand I counted myself fortunate. Plus in the old 35mm film days I used to have Olympus and was very happy with their optical quality

Gosh should I have asked Ffordes for a commission on these sales :grin:

I have to say I was really surprised when I bought mine and sawa I had a choice of a bout ten or more. They are like hen's teeth every where else. I did wonder if they had a got a job ;lot in, but that seems unlikely given that they are all used items. Never mind, for £39 I'm happy :laugh: :laugh:

They are obviously not that highly valued by your average photographer, but just the ticket given the number of EOS cameras used in AP and the odd angles we seem to get out cameras mounted. All my finder scopes are now right angled, age doesn't keep iu flexible anymore. :laugh:

They are obviously not that highly valued by your average photographer, but just the ticket given the number of EOS cameras used in AP and the odd angles we seem to get out cameras mounted. All my finder scopes are now right angled, age doesn't keep iu flexible anymore. :laugh:

Absolutely Frederick. I want one because (at the moment) I am doing more solar work than night sky and I would like to use the DSLR at prime focus. Of course because the sun is nearly always very high in the sky that can be extremely awkward, so I was left with two choices, get (yet another) Canon, this time the 60d, with swivel screen (500-600 squid), or get a right angled finder for £42 (inc postage), wasn't a choice really. :smiley:

Archived