Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

globular M71

nytecam

Thanks all for your interest.

Nice one Maurice - what equipment did you use for this one? Callum
Hi Callum - hope you are well :smiley: I've used the same gear for some years as sig eg 'super fast' 30cm SCT @ f/3.7 + unfiltered and unfettered OSC SX Lodestar-C in my obsy. My approach is unconventional to the forum norm but circumvents my severe LP here in SW London and IMHO works very well - for me :rolleyes:

I really like your approach to imaging. I hope it inspires others to give this sort of style a bash. :)
Thanks Steve for your support - my 'fast optics' approach is similar to astrovideo where many DSOs can be targeted in a single evening which is essential in our fickle climate. However a regular CCD cam trumps video as there's no amplifier glow on the images and calibration frames via darks and flats to smooth results are just a few clicks away. OK I'm not a perfectionist but if need be I can produce an acceptable finished result whilst the next brief sub is underway!

My cam remains permanently on the scope for months [ok - I've an obsy and polar aligned] and although I check focus at the start of a session often it needs no adjustment so I'm up and running a minutes. In contrast the tutorial topping this forum recommends aiming for "an hour's exposure" and polar alignment to match which must be onerous for newcomers to AP and those working in-the-field. The brevity of my exposures minimises that need. Give it a go :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to get some wide field DSO images before too long with 1100D DSLR and my old Pentax lenses. They should only need a relatively short exposure at f2.8. Just waiting for the weather...

Archived