NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Toy

sologuitarist61

Hi guys/gals

Got fed up with waiting for a decent night viewing so have invested in a LUNT Herschel edge so that I can at least do some solar viewing/imaging.

post-21806-0-52231600-1340981578_thumb.j post-21806-0-58495600-1340981614_thumb.j

This will of course mean no sunshine for at least a month :cool: :cool: , so I was wondering if any of you own such a beast and if you have any hints and tips about getting the best from it? Also got a solar continuum filter to go with it, so hopefully will get some good images.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to Google what it does, I don't know anything about solar viewing but I've spent way too much money recently so maybe it will be something I'II look into more next summer.

Keep us updated on how it goes though Richard. :)

11th July...put it in your diary folks because as from then we get astronomical darkness back! :hello2:

Had to Google what it does, I don't know anything about solar viewing but I've spent way too much money recently so maybe it will be something I'II look into more next summer.

11th July...put it in your diary folks because as from then we get astronomical darkness back! :hello2:

Yeah looks a neat piece of kit and apparently the idea goes right back to the 1700's so I am not sure why they aren'y more widely know about. Like you I had to look it up.

I love new toys :). So do you need a continuum filter in addition to the wedge then? Sorry I don't know anything about Herschel Wedges :D

Hi Andy - in theory, no you don't need the continuum filter, but in practice it apparently make the granulation of the surface features more apparent, so I will do comparison shots when the sun finally comes out :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Andy - in theory, no you don't need the continuum filter, but in practice it apparently make the granulation of the surface features more apparent, so I will do comparison shots when the sun finally comes out :smiley: :smiley:

Ah, ok. I'll look forward to those then! :)

Why 11th July Mike? Would have thought it would be much later.

Why 11th July Mike? Would have thought it would be much later.

Its the first day of 'real' darkness for us at lower latitudes, so between 0204 and 0238 on the 11th we will be able to view DSO's again in all there glory! :)

Hi Richard.

I forgot to mention earlier, I have a variable polarizing filter 1.25" that I won't be using for the next 2 or 3 months. You're more than welcome to borrow it if you like. I could drop it down (any excuse to ride the bike) or I could post it.

Luke

Hi Richard.

I forgot to mention earlier, I have a variable polarizing filter 1.25" that I won't be using for the next 2 or 3 months. You're more than welcome to borrow it if you like. I could drop it down (any excuse to ride the bike) or I could post it.

Luke

Thanks Luke you are very kind, but I bought a polarising filter at the same time as the wedge. The thought is very much appreciated though.

In a word NOOOOOOOOOOO! No sunshine down here for a fortnight now. However it has come out today but looking at it between the clouds they all seem to be bleeding together, so although it looks blue it isn't clear enough for imagining, getting fed up with it now. Will post some images as soon as I get a clear patch (hopefully :embarrassed: :embarrassed: )

Archived