Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best night's observing in ages

Andymarrison

Remarkably the skies were clear here last night, and also the seeing was the best in weeks due to some cold air moving in, I guess, and getting rid of all the humidity. I decided to pay the price of bleary eyes today in order to get a few good hours of observing - packed up at about 1:30 am.

Once it had gone more or less properly dark (midnight) I had my best views, since getting the scope in March, of M13 and M92, the two big globular clusters in Hercules. Initially I enjoyed some moderately wide field and nice contrasty views with the 24mm Hyperion, and then some higher mag views, which resolved a lot more of the cluster members, with the 15mm BST. I was then able to Barlow the BST by 1.5 and 2x and still get nice bright pinpoint stars, so the seeing must have indeed been pretty good. I was really impressed with the BST - first time I'd had chance to try it out properly and it was very sharp and also comfortable to use.

The highlight of the night for me was when I decided to have a go at observing the ring nebula, M57. I wasn't expecting much (lots of LP where I live) but with the 15mm eyepiece I was really surprised how large and clear the ring structure is - just like someone had blown a perfect cigar smoke ring in between the stars!

Best night I've had since getting the scope - can't wait until the crisp, clear (hopefully) nights of Autumn arrive - things can only get better!

Indeed. It's nice to know at least someone in the UK is managing to get out and see some stars. At the moment it feels like *any* clear night is going to be the best night's observing in ages :(

A good night again last night, lots of pollution lower down but great viewing at the zenith. One problem though, at about 0130 the floor of the observatory started to vibrate as though a heavy vehicle was going by but all quite, wondered then if there had been an earth tremor :).

Jim

Archived