Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way

Yimini

Thanks Jeremy1, but I was hoping that someone that lives in Surrey might be able to come up with something more from personal experience, security being an important factor too.

Depends how "good " a view you wanna get :)

We can make the milky way out from RC. The VLM There is around 5.

The further you get from the sky glow of London the better. Although towns like Guildford do produce sky glow it's still insignificant compared to the effect that London has on us. So heading out of Guildford in a direction away from London would be best.

HTH

By all means come up and see us on RC you might find conditions an improvement on what you have at home. :)

Indeed.

We meet there most clear nights.

We also have a darker site we use down at Bignor, from here the milky way is very prominent. I believe the VLM from here is around 6 as M13 is visible to the asked eye.

Great. Unfortunately family commitments limit me to being a backyard astronomer for most of the time, but hopefully once the nights draw in a bit more I’ll be able to join you occasionally.

No probs keep an eye on this section if you wanna meet up at RC or Bignor as we post on here before meeting. Dark sky trips we normally try and arrange with a little notice but RC we tend to post just before heading up there. :)

Cool, I am now following this forum. Where on RC do you meet? I'm only really familiar with the area by the National Trust car park.
Just a reminder that your local Guildford AS used to meet at Albury Cricket Club carpark, Sandy Lane off New Road due south from Albury on A248. Site on crest of hill with good views low down to south... and you're futher from London lightdome. Check it out in daylight and good luck in your quest :cool:

This is true ^^^ but they want money from you so you can use your own scope from a car park thats open to amyone. We are free. :)

IIRC, Guildford AS use somewhere else. 'Astronomy 4 Everyone' use the area just in front of the pavilion at Albury Cricket Club now. It in my understanding that they have negotiated using the pavilion toilets, kitchen for teas & coffees and electricity for scopes and laptops etc. but I think the cricket club wanted Public Liability insurance to use it so there is a charge of (I think) £15 per year.

Cheers,

Lee

It's true some folk, especially the public, need all the comforts of home eg "toilets, kitchen for teas & coffees and electricity for scopes and laptops" but as quoted if it's on public ground and you've got your own gear it's free ! Likewise at Ranmore Common [RC] NT carpark Astronomia make a charge to use their telescopes or for tutoring those who bought their scopes from them [!] but again free site to others including my Ewell AS who meet there. :cool:

ps: we observed+pics of HaleBopp comet awhile backed from RC so it has a long astro connection !

I agree - if it is public ground and you don't use the facilities then yes. The principle at Albury is the similar with the Astronomia events at RC I guess - the attendees are paying for the service or facilities, not the location itself. If another person turned up separately with their own gear then it is as you say free for them.

If going down the freebie public access approach just have to expect car headlight beams on full from the paying group leaving early en-mass :grin:
Probably :tongue: - at our society meet on Headley Downs awhile back we got complains from new visitors looking for the site, despite full details of location, that "it wasn't illuminated" - to which we replied "astronomers do it in the dark" :eek:

:grin: well at least we all do our bit for Surrey by keeping our public carparks free from the dodgy nightime users.

The amount of cars that pull in and soon drive off when they spot a group of 'normal' folk is quite amusing!

I have been keeping a watch on this group's threads for a month or so. I hadn't realised where RC was. Now that I know, I'll definitely try and come along (especially as I still don't really know what I'm doing!).

Best,

I have been keeping a watch on this group's threads for a month or so. I hadn't realised where RC was. Now that I know, I'll definitely try and come along (especially as I still don't really know what I'm doing!).

Best,

Everyones welcome buddy :)

Hopefuly see you up there....If we ever get some clear skies.

Archived