Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoviewer with 16in Flextube - need advice.

Pingster

My first try of a binoviewer was actually when i turned up to buy a Helios Qunatum 7.4. The sky just happened to clear with great transparancy, so the seller offered me a view in his APO with binoviewer. That night was my best view of the Moon and Jupitor. The detail and colours of Jupitor blew my socks off, ive never seen it so big and detailed in my 16in dob.

So i went home wondering how amazing the views would be using my 16in skywatcher flextube dod +bino.

The flextube has a FL of 1800 f4.4. I love low mag wide FOV views the most. Whats the lowest mag eyepiece and what max fov can i use? Also will i need a barlow or will my x2 TV powermate be ok to achieve focus?

The flextube has retractable truss, so would i be able to achieve focus by no fully extending the trusses? Thus not needing the barlow?

:smiley:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Binoviewers on my 10" Skywatcher flextube. I have a low profile Moonlite focuser and I use a 1.6x barlow and 25mm and 15mm EPs - the views are brilliant.

The barlow was from here - http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro-engineering/barlow/astrophotography/AC555.html

I am sure you will be able to achieve focus and if you purchase standard binoviewers I think 25mm EPs will give you the best wide field view.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

My first try of a binoviewer was actually when i turned up to buy a Helios Qunatum 7.4. The sky just happened to clear with great transparancy, so the seller offered me a view in his APO with binoviewer. That night was my best view of the Moon and Jupitor. The detail and colours of Jupitor blew my socks off, ive never seen it so big and detailed in my 16in dob.

So i went home wondering how amazing the views would be using my 16in skywatcher flextube dod +bino.

The flextube has a FL of 1800 f4.4. I love low mag wide FOV views the most. Whats the lowest mag eyepiece and what max fov can i use? Also will i need a barlow or will my x2 TV powermate be ok to achieve focus?

The flextube has retractable truss, so would i be able to achieve focus by no fully extending the trusses? Thus not needing the barlow?

:smiley:

Hi Pingster

I'm glad that experience is still etched in your memory. I have to say that after that evening I did not get to see a view that equaled that moment during the months after, before Jupiter went over.

I too have used the Baader binos in a 12" dob as well as my Mak-Newt. I use the x2 powermate in order to get focus. However, as mentioned above, you can shortern the dob poles to reach focus with lower power but may loose some of the light cone in the process.

Hope you have been able to make good use of those Quantums.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, its so ironic how the seeing was so amazing when i came over, only to have not been equaled since. It sure etched into my mind. I could not remeber your email address so was not able to write to you for advice with gettting a binoviewer. I could not remeber the ones you recommended.

Researched on forums and went for a Denki II super system with powerswitch and filter switch. Still awaiting delivery but should be less than two weeks.

I loved the Quantums when i innitially used them for the first few times. Then i got serious neck ache every time, after less than 5mins of use, even with the 45eyepices. At the time i bought them, all the cool stuff just happened to be at zenith. I was going to sell them, but the views are so enjoyable and immersive. They have the qualities of your binoviewer, but at a smaller scale so i was determined to keep them.

So i persisted and made a DIY parallelogram. the Q7.4s are now my most used equipment. I roll them out of my shed attached to my paraellogram ready to use anytime the weather is clear. The standard eyepieces that come with them are great during the day, but for astro use all bright stars not at the centre of the fov turn into double stars! Upgrading to hyperions has greatly enhanced their views. I cant wait to try the denk D21s in them. Fingers crossed for full FOV sharpness.

I love the Q7.4 so much... They inspired me to follow you in persuit of binoviewing. I hope i achieve the 3D effect others speak off.

They are porbally the most pounds spent use ratio of all my gear. Q7.4 + parraellogram = relaxed richfield scanning heaven.

Thanks for letting them go in such good condition and reasonable price.

Pingster

Hi Pingster

Really glad the Quantums are getting the use they should. I had the Denk 2 system which worked well but sold that on in the hope that the grass was greener with investing in the Baader Mkv bino. I have not been disapointed!

I'm looking foward to getting my 14" tenth wave Jim Hysom mirrored Dob together soon and will be using the binos in that along with the powermate 2" x2.

I've been following a DIY project on cloudy nights, 5" bino box. Looks very interesting and may be a project for the future.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5262069/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Enjoy the denks

Paul

Paul I agree that the bino box project you quoted above is a very interesting thread. Have you managed to get to the end of it yet? Istar are making some great objectives at the moment and in real real terms are modestly priced and I think I might have a go myself though I will need to be quick before their reputation starts to grow even more as will their prices!

James

James,

I had a 6" f12 istar objective from Ales (Istar) a couple of years ago. Was very impressed when tested but did not have time at that period to start the build so passed it on. I agree with the pricing as it appears to have risen since that time and will continue as their reputation increases.

I'm considering an 8" objective from them for a build.Have a 6" vixen apo & 7" quartz MN78 but would love to go the 8" aperature on a refractor especially as I exclusively binoview!

Paul

I can confirm using a Williams Optics Binoviewer in a 12in flextube i achieved focus without barlow by dropping the trusses by about 5inches. If the x1.6 barlow is used i insert a 2.5in extention tube to the focuser tpo achieve focus without having to further adjust the trusses.

Works great, dont notice any light loss due to truss being lowered.

Hi Pingster,

Great news that you have acheived focus by tube adjustment. I will be building my Dob so it at least has poles at the top end to allow this type of adjustment. Much easier than having to trim triangle trusses.

Paul

Thats great news, cant wait to see your build. What size are you going for?

Also i would like to add that i upgraded my focuser to a moonlit and using the minimal fitting plates i can achieve focus with only having to drop the truss by 2in. This allows more of the light cone to be captured.... i think. In theory achieving a slightly brighter view compared to dropping the truss by 5in.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Comfirming that able to reach focus with a baader markV bino in a 12in flextube without any OCA installed by dropping truss 6in lower. When using the baader 1.25 Glasspath, only need to drop the truss by 1in. Amazing views.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Faulksy. I generally disappear during the winter back in summer thru to late summer as i find the cold and astronomy does not go hand in hand for me. And yes in happy to let others try my binos if im with em.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Just an update to confirm a Mrk5 Binoviewer with just the 1.25 glasspath reaches focus in a SW 16in flextube with only dropping the truss down 1cm!

I do love these flextubes. :D

Hi Pingster,

Could you post some photos of your set up with the Mk V's...?

I'd love to see it.

If using binoviewers with my 12" flextube is anything to go by, shortening the amount that the secondary ring is pulled up from the main tube, it's easy to the binoviewers to focus without the use of a Barlow to reach focus. However, it's been interesting to maintain collimation. Certainly possible, just not easy.

I will at some stage get another set of detents put in the tubes by a local engineering company, to get the exact distance right, as that should minimise the collimation requirements of the alternate focus position. An alternate method would be to put identical collars around the tubes to prevent them coming all the way out..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What in particular would you like to see?

Anything with a bino-viewer !!

I'm looking at buying a 12-16" Dob towards the end of 2016 (when funds allow!) and want it to be bino compatible.

When i say compatible, can i maybe reach focus without a gpc on a newt ? 

With bino-viewing you usually have to accept compromises.

i was assuming that i'd need the dedicated Baader Newt gpc (1.7x) with the Mk V

But i have not yet ruled out getting a Denk Binotron, as these are maybe better suited to Newts.

Whatever you do dont buy a denki bino. I hate to talk bad on his product but i have one and its not even as good as my Williams optic budget bino. Ill posy some piccys and advice soon.

Looking towards a David Lukehurst 16" F5 (deluxe)

David builds the telescopes from his workshop in Notts.

I'm not decided on anything yet though. Its still on the drawing board.

I may opt for a 12" or a 14" yet.

I've also looked at Orion Optics, Skywatcher, Explore Scientific, Revelation etc.

I've more options available with David ; he can tailor make the scope to your specific requirements.

Whatever you do dont buy a denki bino. I hate to talk bad on his product but i have one and its not even as good as my Williams optic budget bino. Ill posy some piccys and advice soon.

Bold statement. Good job this isn't Cloudy nights !!

I'm talking about the Binotron 27 though. I'm assuming thats a step up from the older Denk Supersystems.

I did a ton of research before i brought my first bino : a Baader Maxbright.

Very impressed with it. The Mk V was a natural upwards progression. Is it worth 4 times as much as the Maxbright ? I'm not so sure......

Don't get me wrong though......i love the Mk V.

I think the max brights are very similar to the williams optics.

So comparing the mrk5 to the William optics i would say. The mrk5 are about 25% sharper but only at mags above x150. At low mags they pretty much look identical.

I would deffo go for the maxbrights as they represent amazing value for money.

I know that why i would never say anything about denki on cloudly nights. And tbh i dont like to bash brands specially because i know the mr denki is a very hard worker and very passionate about what he makes.

Ive never used a binotron... but if you want to spend that kind of money then just get the mrk5. Its simply superb.

The mrk5 with the noise piece removed to remove the x1.25 OCA.

With my flextube i can use it without the oca if i drop the trusses by 3.5cm.

If i use the x1.25 oca, i only need to drop the trusses 1cm.

d7b0336696e88f4d8970e1c1e6532899.jpg476d52b0b668b99df753cd667f701c01.jpg0765818cd0b0bc05a8d413a1f411b99c.jpg98d25f45f055a16f5cde6f97d8118da1.jpg6de8d37c24b06448f0d0dd67c6c34d74.jpg1806a3aee4723fa855c5565a4d324b54.jpg

This is my crude method of ensuring all the truss are dropped to the correct length for binoviewing.

In the picture you see a spacer that is used for making corners on flat pack furniture. Its just happens to be 1cm on one side and 3.5cm on the other side.

What i do is lower the truss and place the spacer as shown in picture then pull the truss up tight as i tighten each truss lock. I use the 3.5cm side if i dont want to use the binos x1.25oca and the 1cm side when using the ocs. After i lock each truss i remove the spacer. Collominate. Simples.

Naturally if buying a custom dob you can pay more the the maker to provide you a special set of shortened truss especially for binoviewing.

6af5fb4fe432466814bf8163eb806c8b.jpg3fb78c03234c0dcf44455ac6551576d9.jpgd49c349d122b93da6dba96cef59771d7.jpg0444e51daef3082e8376c41f10c1ec8e.jpg

Archived