Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lagoon and Trifid wide field image

Quatermass

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Olly

I am still working on that selecting stars and avoiding those dark halos can be a bit tricky but its all good practice :smiley: . Its a smashing bit of sky for sure I really have enjoyed imaging this area and will still go back for some more stuff, want to have a crack at the Helix if it comes up enough.

I love the wide field Mark, fantastic!

Colours in all your shots are nice as always. I never managed decent colours with my DSLR :(

But that first wide field one is just lovely.

I think you've got a great combo of scopes, the 200P combined with the ED80 is a nice mix and combined with your processing skills and the way you make that EQ5 sing allows for some epic results.

PS: As of this morning I'm now officially 'dark side', see signature :)

I love the wide field Mark, fantastic!

Colours in all your shots are nice as always. I never managed decent colours with my DSLR :(

But that first wide field one is just lovely.

I think you've got a great combo of scopes, the 200P combined with the ED80 is a nice mix and combined with your processing skills and the way you make that EQ5 sing allows for some epic results.

PS: As of this morning I'm now officially 'dark side', see signature :)

Thanks Badger I see you have got that lovely new Atik to play with I am so envious of you mate that is one lovely camera. Cant wait to see what your going to come up with now you have the mount and the camera to do some serious good stuff. I do love my little set up but its a struggle sometimes to get the results I would really like. The wide field views with the evostar are great when the 200p has done its work. I think this one is my favorite image of the year that and my Trifid nebula. So hows the camera is it shiny shiny :grin:

Camera looks very shiny, not much I can do this the next two days as I'm teaching all week.

I reckon I'll be at least 2-3 days getting used to the camera and working out how to get it properly spaced with the coma corrector.

It's just arrived and I've already worked out it'll cost me another £40-60 for the correct spacers and a power supply :(

Anyway, I'll post an unboxing/setup/first light as soon as I can.

If I never post again it's either because I can't work the damn thing or the wife has worked out I sold our daughter to pay for it.

B

A twig ! LOL I reckon you could be on to something there mate, ethically sourced enviromentally friendly focussng masks :grin:

Really nice composition of the images QM. Can't wait to get out there again myself.

Camera looks very shiny, not much I can do this the next two days as I'm teaching all week.

I reckon I'll be at least 2-3 days getting used to the camera and working out how to get it properly spaced with the coma corrector.

It's just arrived and I've already worked out it'll cost me another £40-60 for the correct spacers and a power supply :(

Anyway, I'll post an unboxing/setup/first light as soon as I can.

If I never post again it's either because I can't work the damn thing or the wife has worked out I sold our daughter to pay for it.

B

Look forward to seeing the reveiw badgers congrats on the camera its a thing of great lovelynuss :grin:

A twig ! LOL I reckon you could be on to something there mate, ethically sourced enviromentally friendly focussng masks :grin:

Really nice composition of the images QM. Can't wait to get out there again myself.

Cheers Spikey.

Yes I kid you not it was a twig, I sat there thinking ok well what looks like a Y shape that I can stick in front of the dew shield having made a Y shaped mask that worked well and left it at home. And then I remembered those catapults we used to make as kids out of stick and thought Ah HA! yes a twig would do the job so I got a section from a meadow sweet branch that was easy to break off and fit inside giving me the perfect Y shape, it worked great Bear Grylls astronomy surivival kit when your caught out in the wilds of Suffolk :grin: Also handy for a bit of Dowsing

0902101627-01.jpg

They are all brilliant shots Mark!, I also especially like the widefield shot, theres so much going on with it, lovely crisp stars and great colour as well!. Genius idea using the twig as the focusing mask it really goes to show that you don't have to buy a Bahtinov, very rustic solution I hope it wasn't the Owls purch though :icon_jokercolor:

I'm loving my ED80 - not that I have much choice :D Very pleased with my 1100D too :) I feel a good imaging season in prospect :)

Yes that Skywatcher Evostar ED80 is a lovely little telescope its so nice and light to cart around with my EQ5. I think it will become my standard set up for going out in the car trips. The focal reducer is a very nice extra as well I am glad I ditched the case and extras for it. I did a test on the Veil Nebula Broom section last night despite wispy clouds. I took just 11 subs at One minute 40 seconds each just to see what it would come up with really and was pleased to see it gave me a nice bit of detail. Will go back next clear night and give that one a good old run of subs now its up higher. Still really looking forward to doing M31 again. Also got my Laser Collimator this morning so had fun playing around with that, well its raining so what else can you do on a wet day :grin:

Heavy rain here too :( Brought my camera indoors to clean the sensor - got in just in time before the rain started :) I'm planning on having a go at the Broom soon.

Also hoping to set up a really wide-field camera with lens. I'd like a 200mm FL lens but at least I have a 135mm f2.8 from my film days. Guess I'll get the whole of Cygnus and more in with that :D Do I see another camera mod coming on? :D I got another (very cheap but brand new) 1100D from eBay a little while back. ATM it's still as bought. I have a bracket ready to mount swivel head and camera. I already have an adapter ring to use the Pentax/Practika M42 thread lenses. I'll test it out unmodded at first then I'll probably remove the red stop filter only (putting the IR/UV back) so I don't need a separate IR/UV filter. Probably won't need cooling with f2.8 and f1.8 lenses. (The f1.8 is a 55mm FL.) I'm also planning to use this second camera as a finder with LX facilities so that I can find faint fuzzies.

Sounds like a good plan Gina a wide field camera will be great for capturing those big areas. Another camera mod! rather you then me doing my canon 350d was quite enough for me dont want to repeat that again :grin:

I've taken 1100Ds apart and put them back together so many times I've quite lost count and think I could now do it in my sleep :D

This could be a new side line for you Gina to fund your astronomy projects, Gina Camera modifications :grin:

:D I guess I could manage the filter removal mod :D I guess if I could source some cheap cameras I could do the mod and then sell the modded cameras. Or maybe even do the mod for cameras sent to me for modding... Food for though I must admit :D

It's out of reach from my location. I might venture out into the countryside to have a go, though. QM, I always wanted to ask : where do you put your 200 OTA when you go out? Do you use the box that came with the scope?

Well I put the main tube in the boot and the mount in the back seat take my battery pack to power the dual axis kit and my canon 350. When I get there I quickly put the mount up and do quick no fuss polar alignment with Polaris in the riticule. Then a quick focus on a bright star slew to my target with the finder scope. Then start my subs run with the remote timer set to take 80 shots. Get my binoculars out and a chair and enjoy looking around the night sky. Don't fuss about too much time is short between 1 and 2 to get an hour of reasonable subs is my aim.

And how do you secure the tube in the boot? I've never taken the scope out; I'm worried abot losing collimation, damage, etc.

By the way, I'll have to stick to 1' subs unless I use guiding. Tried 1'30'' subs but didn't get round stars even with drift alignment and in a still night.

Archived