NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OMG clear skies!!!!!

Dazzyd

Getting excited now, the scope is out cooling, it's such a clear beautiful sky, a nice hour viewing before bed me thinks and first light for my 2 Vixen NPLs! Happy times are back :D

Aye its annoying though when it doesn't get properly dark and by the time it's as dark as its going to be you have to be in bed due to early starts at work !

Still, worth grabbing the bins for an hour.

Managed to get out for about an hour last night, the first time without cloud cover in about three weeks! - It was the first time I'd used the scope since adjusting it's collimation for the first time and boy was I delighted with the results.

Got some stunning, crystal clear views of Saturn through my 7mm eyepiece (it was always blury before) before some clouds rolled in around 23:30.

Can't wait for the darker evenings though . . .

I managed an hour last night, saw Saturn, it wasn't sharp but it was getting low in the sky and I was looking at much more atmosphere than usual. Managed to see M57 in Lyra but it was quite faint because of the lack of real darkness. Tried for the whirlpool galaxy but not luck, I think I need my Telrad to arrive soon so I can improve my star hopping skills.

All in all though, a really nice relaxing bit of viewing before bed :)

Tapped with my own fair fingers on my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I love the 30mm NPL but the 8mm takes a bit of getting used to. The 30mm is huge and has a twist-up eye relief which is wonderful but the 8mm hasn't got that and it's quite a small lens so it can take a while to get comfortable viewing through it. The overly light night, slightly misty atmosphere and lower down target didn't help though I guess, maybe the 8mm just amplified that soup. I'm thinking of a more intermediate lens around 15mm to add to my collection, not under powered but not too high that it's hard to get yourself around the sky while I'm still learning to star hop. I think I'm going to try a BST for that one, I've read some very positive comments about them on here. Wish I could compare the eye relief etc before buying but I think the BST is worth the plunge :)

Archived