NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

18/19 June Veil Nebula

Hals

Found the Veil a surprisingly difficult object last night even with an OIII filter. The eastern part was seen much easier than the western but due to the sky brightness it really took some eyeballs out concentration to pick out details.

Looking forward to seeing it again when the skies get a bit darker next month.

Well done for finding it :smiley:

The Veil complex has been my favourite Summer / Autumn deep sky object for a few years now. I took my 1st look at it this season last night as it happens. My ED102 refractor showed both the east and west portions in the same FoV using my 31mm Nagler and Astronomik O-III filter. I've seen Pickerings Wisp with this combination on darker nights as well. It's a marvelous sight which I never seem to tire of :smiley:

Got my first sight of the Veil tonight. UHC did the trick...completely invisible without it. It was a beautiful site, although even with 25mm eyepiece I couldn't fit it all in. I wouldn't say I saw a huge amount of detail but it was very recognisable (both east and west) as I swept the scope up and down. I finally appreciated what a lower power eyepiece can do....now I get it! The standard 25mm that came with my scope was so much better for this than my "paid for" BST Explorer 15mm or 8mm.

Anyone care to suggest what the ideal eyepiece would be for my scope when viewing these larger deep sky objects?

Cheers

TB

Anyone care to suggest what the ideal eyepiece would be for my scope when viewing these larger deep sky objects?

Cheers

TB

Hi Tom

I use either my 31mm or 20mm 82 deg eyepieces on the veil depending on whether I want the max possible field or a more detailed view of the whispy structure inside it. In my 10" Dob the 20mm is by far my most used eyepiece.

You are more than welcome to try them next time you're about. :)

I use my 31mm Nagler to view the Veil and other large DSO's. With an Astronomik O-III filter and me 102mm F/6.5 refractor I can see both the E & W segments of the Veil in the same FoV and even Pickerings Wisp on really dark nights.

I use a Televue 35mm Pantoptic which is an awesome eyepiece for sweeping up stuff like that. Unfortunately the 41mm Panoptic will produce an exit pupil above 7.5mm in your scope which can be problematic for scopes with a central obstruction. Money no object, the Nagler 31mm would also be rather nice.

Hi Tom

I use either my 31mm or 20mm 82 deg eyepieces on the veil depending on whether I want the max possible field or a more detailed view of the whispy structure inside it. In my 10" Dob the 20mm is by far my most used eyepiece.

You are more than welcome to try them next time you're about. :)

Cheers Steve - hope the wagon's back on the road!

agreed on the larger EP sizes - in my 10' a few weeks ago I first observed the Veil (east an west) and could on pick out small bits with my 10mm EP...15-30mm seems to work best. I'm blown away by the sheer size of the veil complex.

Archived