Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A possible meet up at the NYO astro fest 11th August ?

sologuitarist61

I've been to this event for the past two years and thoroughly enjoyed it so I'm planning on being there this year too. I'm particularly looking forward to meeting the folks from First Light Optics again and hopefully hearing Sara Russell as meteorites have fascinated me for years :smiley:

Hope to meet up with some SGL members at the event !

I should be there and will probably be with my son Lewys as starting to show an interest in the wonders of the night sky..

Hope to met you all there guys.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John & co,

Do you want Forum names or real names or doesn't it matter? Anyway, myself (Sharon Irving) & hubby (Glen) are intending to come along, so this organisation of ways of recognising other members etc.is great thanks.

Does booking only apply to the lectures or do we need to book just to attend in general?

Sorry, I know you addressed this to John but if I might chip in. I think it might be good if John could get both the user name and real name put onto the badges, that way we all get to know each other a little quicker. What does anyone else think? :huh: :huh:

With regard to booking Sharon, I must admit to having downloaded the Booking Form and sent a cheque off for both the entrance fee and the lecture fees, but I guess only the lecture ones are that important due to numbers wishing to attend. Perhaps John can come back on that one? Just received confirmatory email yesterday that all is booked.

Hi all! I think it is a good idea to have both real and forum names for badges. I'm afraid I don't have anything to do with bookings or fees so you will need to go through the official website. I believe the entrance fee is £5.00 for adults and £2.50 for children with lectures being £4.00 each. You don't need to book for enrance fee but I think you do for lectures.

So far we have:

John (me)

Richard

Sharon and Glen Irving

any more just add please!

Ah... Apologies,

I was informed by Mrs Greg that on SWAF date I shall be driving through Europe ...... Yipee for the holiday but not so yipee for the astro meet up... :embarassed:

Greg

Visited about 3 years back, will there be a few more sign this year?

Drove into Sidmouth, saw a sign and followed it, on Sid Road they stopped for the direction I was going, got to the end, turned round and there was a sign when coming from that direction.

From what has been said wil there be observing in the evening ?

Although in August still a fair bit of light evening.

Couple of questions:

Which talks will there be this year, the list of people and the actual programme that appears says 2011 not 2012 ?

Any chance that the exhibitors that will be attending could be listed for 2012 also the one that comes up again says 2011?

As it is only some 6 weeks away I would have thought that the talks and exhibitors would be known to a major extent by now.

SORRY:

Ignore the questions, the web site I was presented with was through the Exeter University and it has a picture link to the 2012 Astro Fair but it actually links back to the 2011 fair.

That is damn confusing as it comes up first.

Hello. here is a link to the web site that you need http://www.normanlockyer.com/

Don't think they intend any evening viewing and the programme on the website finishes at 17.00

If you intend to go then say so on here and John (mallorcasaint), will pick it up and have a badge ready for you so that SGL members can be recognised (or PM him). You need to book the talks and a Booking Form can be downloaded from the website, and then you just send off a cheque. Hope this helps.

There will probably be a few of us imagers staying over on the night and have our kit set up for some evening viewing/imaging. It won't be part of the Astro fair but if you are around I'm sure you would be made welcome. I'll check with the organisers though and let you know.

Good to see some chat about our event, by the way we're not allowed to call it 'Astro Fest' apparantly there is a small event in London called that, has to be 'Astro Fair'

I've also started a thread in the Astro Events section.

I'm Pete Youd btw, I'm supposed to be in charge of marketing the event. I'll be there together with my son Will.

There are some campsites and B&B's very near the NLO, the area is well served as the town of Sidmouth has been a tourist attraction from Victorian times.

Hello Pete and nice to hear from you. Yes John (mallorasaint) has already helped me with an accommodation list, so I am sorted. Good luck with the 'Astro Fair' and I hope you have a good day. I look forward to meeting a few of you there.

Rats, I've only found this part of the forum in the last couple of days.

If it's not to late for a badge, and you have any spares, then the W in JamieW is for Wring. Nevermind if it is too late, I will just have to spot you wearing yours.

See you there..

It won't be too late to come along and visit on the 11th August, just turn up and pay to get in, but I have no idea how the booking are are going for the various talks that era happening that day. perhaps one of the people from the NLO can give us soem feed back?

There is a thread under the Astro Fairs section that you can go on and find out I expect. As for the badges, I will be making them for any sgl member that wants one. I will add a post at a later date in order to confirm names and numbers..

We plan the Astro Fair to be the weekend following the Folk Festival so people can stay on for Astro Fair.

So make sure you book to stay on next year!

just reading through this thread someone mentioned about signing. I'm going to be doing the signs this year

so I'll try to make it as fool proof as I can, however some joker always thinks it's funny to move them or remove them!

Last year the lectures sold out but there are not too many pre-booked so far this year so if you can book asap.

We plan the Astro Fair to be the weekend following the Folk Festival so people can stay on for Astro Fair.

So make sure you book to stay on next year!

just reading through this thread someone mentioned about signing. I'm going to be doing the signs this year

so I'll try to make it as fool proof as I can, however some joker always thinks it's funny to move them or remove them!

Last year the lectures sold out but there are not too many pre-booked so far this year so if you can book asap.

Perhaps next year, me and the OH will have to see what we've got planned :). If not then, I'm sure the year after would be good :angel:.

Archived