Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A possible meet up at the NYO astro fest 11th August ?

sologuitarist61

This has just been spoken about in the 'Welcome .... ' thread in the D&C group and so I thought I would start this thread as a possible meet up place for us that is astro oriented and also very interesting to boot. I can see a coupl of lectures that would be up my street especially the Nik Szymanek on imaging and the Prof Ian Morison on Black Holes to name a couple.

What's the feeling amongst the rest of you?

This falls the day after my holiday in the Lake District finishes (Friday 10th), and so would give my partner a welcome break from driving on the way home to Cornwall.

Does anyone know of any dog friendly B&B's or pubs local to the NYO where we could break our journey on the way back to Cornwall (always holiday with our two retired greyhounds - see my avatar above))?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NLO (not NYO :smiley: ) is very near to Sidmouth and I'm sure you will find dog friendly pubs there. I will be there (on duty!) as will Herbig I imagine. You will find that many of us will have our gear set up and will be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. It really is a great day and you will enjoy it. The planeterium is terrific and the historic domes with their working telescopes are awsome. We also have meteor detection, spectroscopy, solar viewing` and much more.

Quite often we camp out in the grounds during the summer and stay over weekends to get some imaging done. It makes for a great weekend and loads of laughs!

Have just sent off my Booking Form and cheque for the Fair on 11th August, so hope to see some of you there.

Brilliant! My name is John Maclean and we all wear badges so you should find me in either the Astro Imaging tent or the McClean dome (when I'm not on car park duties!) Let's hope the weather is good!

Hey, good to know you John, and will certainly look out for you. Me on the other hand am usually very easy to spot as I am 65 and 6'7", so if you see some old guys wandering around who towers over everyone else, that'll be me lol.

I don't usually do photo's of myself, but it might be good nearer the time to change our avatars for a week or two with our own mug shots so that we can easily recognise each other other either that or make up SGL Devon and Cornwall badges, what do you think?

Weather has to change sometime John let's hope it is Saturday 11th August.

PS, thanks for the dog friendly B&B list. Have booked into a place in Newton Poppleford for the night of the 10th and 11th August - thanks for the heads-up

No problem Richard and I'm glad you got a place booked. I live in Exeter and travel through Newton Poppleford to get to the NLO. Nice little place. Good idea about the photos and I'll certainly do that nearer the time. I look forward to meeting you.

John

Excellent, now all we have to do is figure out a way of all recognizing each other lol.

I'm wondering if they have any sort of food tent or whatever there that could be a meeting place? I know I am booked for two of the lectures, 12-1pm and 3-4pm so will be mooching around other than those times.

Sounds like a plan to me John :smiley: :smiley:

I will definitely be there and have booked my place at two lectures so definitely put me down - the full name is Richard Moore

Not sure how many there will be but three or four would be good - always good to be able to put a face to a name. Perhaps others will come forward. looks like flaxinator is coming from his post above, and Luke (LukeSuppaiot) has expressed an interest as well, so that would be 4 of us at least.

Thanks for offering to take this on, I appreciate it.

I've been to this event for the past two years and thoroughly enjoyed it so I'm planning on being there this year too. I'm particularly looking forward to meeting the folks from First Light Optics again and hopefully hearing Sara Russell as meteorites have fascinated me for years :smiley:

Hope to meet up with some SGL members at the event !

Archived