Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn is indeed a stunning sight!

TractionMan

Ever since I got my scope, I wanted to take a peek att Saturn, without success though due to clouds and bad weather. Until last night that is. The skies cleared up really well just after sunset and I waited until it got darker. Got my scope and EP's and went outside to set it up. While I waited for the scope to cool down, which didn't take long since it's so small, I looked for Saturn using those Mark I eyeballs. Check!

Time for the scope. Placed the red dot on the planet and and decided to start with the 25mm EP. Focused and there it was. I could just barely make out the rings at this low level of magnification so I changed to the 12mm EP. Wow!!! Nice! The image was clear and crisp and I was utterly AMAZED that I actually looked at Saturn. The rings showed up really well this time and I could make out the gap between the rings and the planet itself. The more I looked at it the more amazed I became. Now I practiced to track the planet for a while before going to a higher magnification. Havn't had that much scope time yet so I thought it might be a good idea. After a while I decided to try the 7mm EP, not knowing if I'd be able to track the planet since I'm new to this. Not sure why, but I got a bit nervous at this point. When I peered into the EP, my jaw more or less dropped to the ground. What a stunning sight! I adjusted the focus slightly and now I got completely blown away by what I saw. Crystal clear image and the gap between the planet and the rings became even more apparent. I just couldn't stop looking at this celestial jewel. Tracking it proved to be quite easy after all, even if I'm new to this. Ok it was only about 93x magnification, but still. Sadly, Saturn disappeared behind the tree line for this time and I can't wait to see this beauty again.

As I carried the telescope back I looked up and saw these amazingly beatiful noctilucent clouds. A very nice bonus I think. All in all I was more than happy with this session. Actually I intended to have a go at M13 and perhaps M81/M82, but I found it impossible to stop looking at Saturn, so it didn't happen this time. :grin:

Not sure if I'm rushing things a bit now (or possibly just getting inspired by the view of Saturn), but now I've ordered a 5mm EP as well. Oh I think I have to add Saturn to my signature now. :laugh:

Hi there spuds like ou hooked Saturn is so easy to view and pretty awesome it just seems to drift buy Cassini is also a great thing to see not only that but it's hurtling through space at speed

Clusters and alaxies are also brill I love the moon and doubles ,I can nt wit till the utum season is back

Have more great nights out

Pat

I recall my first view of Saturn. I was using my 4.5" reflector.

It was similar to the first time i saw the Milky way arm.

Truly wonderful. awesome and inspiring.

I have to think that planet observations are some of the best because it requires far less, for me, setup and time etc etc and can get great views

but , i am an idiot. I moved to China 9 years ago and gave my telescope to my sister.

Ive been using binoculars this whole time and alhtough I love them, i want a new scope.

ive talked about it before but the money was never there. i was sick last year so i didnt make much.

this year looks like i can!

anyway saturn is a beauty. but my binoculars are too small to view it.h

however, Jupiter always gives me a great show year on year.

i wonder which scope is best for planet viewing and photography?

Archived