Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kidding myself - Crescent + Soap Bubble

fwm891

After seeing other great images of these objects I decided last night to 'have-a-go'. Just 130 mins of Ha data in 5 and 10 min subs until cloud stopped play about 02:00 this morning.

This is a stack as a DSS fit file, converted with fits liberator and further processed in PS SC3.

After much pushing and pulling in levels and curves this morning to try and see the Bubble I think I'll get some more data later in the year and add to these.

I'm kidding myself I can see a trace........

Francis

post-14748-0-61593600-1339673429_thumb.j

Well I think I can see it also, but not in the enlarged image, so is it our eye's playing tricks because we know it's there :D

I did print your image out in black and white and drew a circle around where I thought I could seen the bubble and it matches with a reference image......so I'd just go with a "Yes" :D :D :D

Nice one mate,

Matt.

Nice one. It's great to see another attempt at the bubble. Now we can tell why the thing was missed all those years.

If you have another go, can you do at least 15 minute subs ?

It's also nice to see you have a reasonably smooth background even though you've stretched it beyond what you normally would.

Dave.

Great image Francis :)

I've decided to get an Astronomik Ha clip filter for my 1100D DSLR. I know a DSLR is not ideal but it will be a long long time before I'll be able to afford an astro CCD camera and certainly not a larger format one. So having seen good results from a full spectrum modded DSLR with Ha clip filter, I'm going for that. I'm thinking of capturing Ha subs one night and corresponding colour on the next with the Ha filter replaced with the CLS-CCD. That's when we actually get some clear nights, of course :D End of July... August... :D Don't expect to be able to afford an Ha filter until July anyway.

Thanks Matt, Johnrt, Dave and Gina. I've been playing again with the original files but can't get any better results so its more and longer subs once the weather plays ball! Gina I see is being hopefull :eek: - thinks she's going to get two nights in a row clear (is that allowed!) :grin: Must be the Devon air!

Thanks again

Francis

Update - Added extra H-Alpha data and managed some Darks and Bias frames at -20C, also added flat frames but these were shot at ambient as the camera began to ice-up!

So total H-alpha now 4 hours 40 mins with 7nm Baader filter

15 x 10 min darks @ -20C

40 x Bias (0.01 sec) @ -20C

40 x 3 sec flats @ about 15°C

Hope you like...

post-14748-0-91841200-1340114595_thumb.j

Archived