Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nagler Type 6 11mm or Delos 10mm?

I've finally taken a deep breath and decided to buy a Televue. I'm looking for something that gives me around 200x magnification in my f10 8" SCT, for planetary observing and also for some higher magnification views of globular clusters. I like the FOV of my Hyperion (68 deg) and I'm sure would also be happy to go wider. Which of the two TV lenses do you think would suit best - both are 200x (as near as dammit for the 11mm Nagler) and the Delos has a 72 deg FOV compared with the Nagler's 82 deg. Any other differences or characteristics I need to take into account?

I personally would take the Delos over the Nagler. I have had a few t6 Naglers and they are fabulous eyepieces but unless an 82° afov is important to you the only other reason I can think of to pick it over the Delos would be for its smaller and lighter build. The Delos is based on the Ethos albeit with a narrower fov but with a comfortable 20mm of eye relief and it will slightly outperform the Nagler optically. For what its worth the the finest eyepiece I have used at that focal length is the Pentax XW 10. I replaced it with the 6mm Delos but if I was in the market for a 10mm eyepiece it would without doubt be my first choice!

I love the 11mm T6 Nagler, though I tend to use it more for medium power deep sky, but the one problem is my missus doesn't get on with it that well, which I guess is down to the tightish eye relief of 12mm. So we've been thinking about a Delos, which I believe has 20mm eye relief.

I have the 10mm Radian, which is very nice indeed, but I think I will replace it with a Delos 10. Both have the same eye relief, but the Delos is said to be sharper. In the same magnification range, I would consider the Pentax XF 8.5 (234x in my C8). It is amazing on planets, and clearly beat my Radian 8 in terms of detail and clarity of the image. At 70% of the price of a Radian over here, it is a steal.

Andy, I have the same telescope as you and have had some fantastic sessions using my 8mm Radian (254 mag).

I have one as well Charon and love it shes a great eyepiece that I will never sell , but TV dont make the 8mm Radian any more ?? shame that , as you and I know how good they are .

Brian.

Yikes! More facts to consider, I think! Sounds like I should be looking at Pentax as well, but not sure what the FOV of an XW is? Also, the Radian is 60 deg, right? I think I'd prefer something of the order of 70 deg based on the experience I've had with the Hyperion, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something here?

I have the 10mm Radian, which is very nice indeed, but I think I will replace it with a Delos 10. Both have the same eye relief, but the Delos is said to be sharper. In the same magnification range, I would consider the Pentax XF 8.5 (234x in my C8). It is amazing on planets, and clearly beat my Radian 8 in terms of detail and clarity of the image. At 70% of the price of a Radian over here, it is a steal.

Sell me your 10mm Radian when the Delos arrives?

Brian.

I've not used a Delos, but it sounds excellent. I use an 11mm nagler and 8mm radian. Both these are great and my other eyepieces dont get a look in. If the Delos is like a cross between the 2 but with better optical quality then it's got to be worth a look.

I have a similar scope (LX 90 8" also F10. Take one more deep breath and think about the ethos 10 mm. 100 degree of great views.

...you've really gone and done it now - I was trying to block the Ethos temptation from my thoughts, but now I think the door's been opened...

I've tried a lot of Eps and am a bit jaded here. I do love Ethos, but if I had to choose between my Ethos and Delos, I think I'd take the Delos. Because of its lighter weight, the Delos is more compatible with the other Eps you probably have, so you won't be fighting with balance issues all night; it's more comfortable to use; and has slightly greater clarity. There's a wonderful "immediacy" in this EP that for me makes up for the "only" 72 degree FOV. I just think it's better all round and ultimately you'll have more fun with it and save some money. I won't deny, however, that on special occasions, the Ethos will blow you away.

Ethos vs. Pentax is an emotional issue. I've had most of the Pentax but am gradually deaccessioning them in favor of the Delos as to me, the view in the Pentax seems just a bit more artificial--despite the beautiful ergonomics and lovely Japanese fit and finish.

I don't think Naglers are quite in the league of the above three Eps, though I still have a small set that I use for grab and go with a small scope. They shine here because of their consistent weights in smaller sizes so I don't have to worry about balance issues. And of course, they are still fine Eps.

Thanks everyone for the benefit of your experiences with these various eyepieces. I've decided to go for the 10mm Delos. If anyone leads me further into temptation by extolling the virtues of an Ethos, I'm going to have to insist that they take on joint and several liability for my credit card balance in the event of a purchase...;)

Archived