Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trifid Nebula take 3 final image

Quatermass

Had a great night out last night with Richard who brought along his Sky watcher 12inch telescope and we had another crack at the Trifid nebula. Learned a lot about go to systems and Richard let me use his laser collimator on my Sky watcher 200p. I was gobsmacked to see how far out of colmination my scope was no wonder I was having so much trouble with egg shaped stars. After using the laser collimator my stars were in much better shape so that's one for the birthday wish list.

So here is my last attempt at the Trifid Nebula this is 68 subs at 70seconds each ISO 800 with 60 darks flats and bias shots. Also included is the drop box link if any one else would like to have go processing the stacked .tiff file

Trifid%2520Nebula3%2520master%2520image%2520copy_filtered.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75039043/Trifid%20Nebula3%20master%20image.TIF

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, and how did you attach it to the scope?

I ask because I'm already saving for the Skyliner 200P and It would be great to take pics through it!

The Skyliner Dobsonians are wonderful scopes for looking through but they can't be used for this kind of long exposure deep sky astrophotography. The main thing you need for this is a sturdy equatorial mount with tracking motors (and preferably an autoguider, though as QM demonstrates, you can still get some great images without). If you get a Skyliner Flextube Auto or GoTo, you would be able to take very nice pictures of the moon and planets with a modified webcam, just not deep sky stuff like galaxies or nebulae.

Didn't Quatermass take this photo with a Skyliner 200P? And theses turned out great!

No. This was taken with an Explorer 200P on a motor driven EQ5, and is a really exceptional result for such a combination. Most people would struggle to get a result like this, with such a large scope on such a small mount.

Didn't Quatermass take this photo with a Skyliner 200P? And theses turned out great!

Nope I took these with the skywatcher 200p sorry if that was not clear. Taking astrophotos on a dob is not a good idea you need an EQ mount to track your target. This is my set up for you..

http://astrocasto.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/new-sky-watcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html

Also another thing to bear in mind is the processing of the image data you have collected this takes longer to learn and get right then taking the images themselfs. So the two go hand in hand really once you have got to grips with the imaging side of things you also need to master the processing side of things great data is worthless if you dont do a good job processing it. Its all great fun though so dont be put off learning is the fun part ;)

Amazing image Mark - quite superb :) You're a lucky devil with the weather too :D Getting very difficult to remember when we last had a clear night here :( Thought there was a possibility tonight but no! It's thick cloud.

Cheers Gina.The curse of the thick clouds its a horrible thing Gina :Envy: I have to say that imaging this nebula has been such a lot of fun despite it being low down and having to do a run out in the car. Using Richards laser colliminator was an eye opener for me my secondary mirror was way off the mark and the results after using it were much better far less wonky stars. Your going to love imaging this one hope you get some clear skies soon ;)

Very nice image! Is this a combination of your other takes that you've previously posted or a new set completely? Whats the speed of the 200p f/4?

This was a new set of subs after altering my secondary mirror on my telescope and correcting collimation. The telescope is f/5 most of the other shots were plagued by bad focus and bright moon lit night. Getting a good clear night with good collimation improved things a lot. ;)

Cracking image!

AND... I later discovered that my laser collimator needs collimating! So I'll get that done shortly, then get together with Mark again to fine tune his system. That should help even more!

As for the post processing - talk about a dark art! I can't get anywhere near that final result from the tiff file. Clearly need to go back to the tutorials!

Archived