Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a couple of old favourites. 9(10).06.12

rory

took advantage of a clear spell from about 23.30, put scope out started useing straight away,no cool down,as i was unsure of how long the clear sky would last. the sky was still quite light,even at this hour !

saturn was first on the list tonight to get the telrad and finder aligned. which i did promptly,but the view of saturn was poor...very poor. like i say ,no cool down.

m13 next, even though ive viewed this globular every time ive had this new set up,i dont get tired of seeing it. from there moved east slightly and onto m92. another great glob which shows more the longer you spend with it. decided to try and sketch it, even though ive not sorted a observing stool yet. so i set to work resting on the arm of a garden pstio chair( not comfy at all !)

scanned over toward vega with the low power e/p. and when vega came into view,it looked superb.i quite like the spikes you get in the newtonian on bright stars. from vega a small shift onto the ring nebula m57. another object ive looked at every time the scopes come out. pushed up the mag to x100 and tried another sketch. that ghostly oval smoke ring is a great object.

last object of the night was m56. a dimmer glob than the other two.only viewed at x66, any higher and you lose deatil all together under this bright summer sky.

i was in hope of viewing the dumbell nebula and a few objects in and around cygnus, but with the moon starting to show its presence and feeling tired, i called it a night. no new finds tonight, but old friends revisited, and well worth the visit they were too.

i'll put sketches up tomorrow sometime.

Feels like I haven't had a good observing session for ages and this part of the forum has been a bit sparse recently so its good to see your report Rory.

Looking forward to the sketches. :)

Agreed. A mix of heavy revision, heavy cloud and minimal darkness means I have not posted much recently.

Thanks for sharing and keeping the observing report fires burning!

yep, theres some nice summer objects, and its nice when you can be out in a t shirt and flip flops. but it just sucks big time the time it takes to get even remotely dark. and as for the great british weather, lets say no more !

Archived