Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can We Have An Essex Group In The Social Group Section Please ?

knobby

Would you like an Essex group in the social group section  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use it

• yes
    • no
    • shutup !
  2. 2. would it have to be vagazzled

• yes
    • no
    • that would make the other groups so jel !

There is already an East Anglian group here.

Although it does seem to be that the Essexonians are nucleating here.

No competition Dave ... just friendly neighbors wanting their own identity! :D

---Co. founder of the Essex cloud dodgers social group (possibly? )---

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/152380-Can-We-Have-An-Essex-Group-In-The-Social-Group-Section-Please-?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man have we started something.

Seriously though, we need to think about what we are actually going to do in our shiny new group.

1st suggestions will be 'dark Essex sites'.

Gear gallery.

Scope vagazzling.

Burton performance scope tuning.

:rolleyes:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/152380-Can-We-Have-An-Essex-Group-In-The-Social-Group-Section-Please-?

I certainly think the best thing for our light polluted county is to run some recces to the far flung corners of Essex. Ideally we go with no preconceptions, so take kit and not be too disappointed if its not perfect dark. A really great site would possibly be Osea Island, but I believe thats private now and if memory serves me correct, only accessible via a rocky causeway (traversable by car) at certain times of the day due to the tides - I would dearly love to find a near dark site within an hours drive of my location. Looking at Google Earth it seems to be very sparsely populated to the east of Southminster - especially Eastern Skies as one would be looking out towards the North Sea.

Another place I have been looking at on Google Earth is an old Aerodrome just to the North of Bradwell on Sea - looks unused and have a BIG area of concrete that is just going begging for a number of scopes - just need to find who owns it and politely ask if its possible to use - only issue I foresee is possibly the power station, I know its no longer in use, but daresay its lit up at night for security, something to do with near-weapons grade uranium or something ;)

I certainly think the best thing for our light polluted county is to run some recces to the far flung corners of Essex. Ideally we go with no preconceptions, so take kit and not be too disappointed if its not perfect dark. A really great site would possibly be Osea Island, but I believe thats private now and if memory serves me correct, only accessible via a rocky causeway (traversable by car) at certain times of the day due to the tides - I would dearly love to find a near dark site within an hours drive of my location. Looking at Google Earth it seems to be very sparsely populated to the east of Southminster - especially Eastern Skies as one would be looking out towards the North Sea.

Another place I have been looking at on Google Earth is an old Aerodrome just to the North of Bradwell on Sea - looks unused and have a BIG area of concrete that is just going begging for a number of scopes - just need to find who owns it and politely ask if its possible to use - only issue I foresee is possibly the power station, I know its no longer in use, but daresay its lit up at night for security, something to do with near-weapons grade uranium or something ;)

Conjures up images of glowing Scopes!

hey guys - ok so there us 1 area i know where it is really dark - some very good friends live there and i kinda grew up there - there is 1 or 2 brightish street lamps, but it is farm land and we can mostly "hide" behind one of their woods so as to hide the light - its pretty near colchester but set right out far in the middle of nowhere

aside from this site - we should totally vajazzle our scope !!!! diamontes on the dobs

We used that exact site for the Venus Transit on Wednesday morning, and also reccy'ed it a few weeks ago.

And, if you have the money to holiday at the celebrity drug rehab centre on Osea Island, it is also accessible by helicopter.

Certainly up for checking out the colchester site - ideally for me fridays/saturdays/sundays.. I dropping out of the wedding photography game so will have plenty more weekends to pursue pastimes (although she had me up in the loft today clearing out 17 years of sh*te and insulating/boarding it out - I'm a fibre-glass pin cushion at the moment)..

Also I have the area I go to up near Quendon.

Thinking ahead,

Can I vote for a break away group within the Essex group for a North Essex Group. I have quite an affinity with Cambridgeshire and may wish to align myself with them if they also form a group.

Thinking ahead,

Can I vote for a break away group within the Essex group for a North Essex Group. I have quite an affinity with Cambridgeshire and may wish to align myself with them if they also form a group.

No sorry, if we do that we'll have north Essex, east Essex, west Essex, Braintree, southend... It'll get silly

For observing, I used to know the warden for Danbury Lakes, spent many nights up there observing. I certainly used to be fairly dark, and being in a locked secure park made you feel quite safe.

The CPAC use a dark site out on the Denge Peninsular, but from what I can make out there are not so many public places out there. So maybe your best bet is for a couple of you to head out that way and then approach a local farmer and see if you can borrow a bit of land from time to time.

Ant

Good to see we're getting serious ( scarey isn't it )

I'll tell you a little story about Osea island later when i have more time ...

'builds suspence ' :evil:

So! OSEA ISLAND ...

when I was a lad, about 80's or 90's

Me and some mates decided to drive onto the island.

As you probably know it used to have an access road only useable at low tide ... (STOP GUESSING)

At the time I had just got my first company car, a brand new white astra estate.

So we carefully started driving across the 7' wide road when a land Rover comes towards us.

Me being the gent moved over slightly onto the grassy / muddy bit! ( now you can start guessing) .well as it turns out the green bit is silt and surprisingly enough doesn't support the weight of a brand new white astra estate.

So there we ended up... right hand wheels on the path, left hand wheels sinking rapidly into the silt :blink:

And of course the tides coming in.

So ... out get me mates and start trying to lift the car while I'm trying to gently drive it back up onto the path, which ended up with one of my mates sinking into the muddy silt up to his waist (seem to remember new Farrahs being ruined)

Any way after what seemed hours of tears / laughter and blind panic the bloke in the land Rover came back with a rope and pulled us out :D

Still have images etched in my mind of my brand new Astra hanging off the road at 45 degrees half covered in mud, it actually came up to the passengers windows.

:huh:

There is already an East Anglian group here.

Although it does seem to be that the Essexonians are nucleating here.

The trouble with the Anglian Group as I see it is, the area is HUGE !!!!!!!, so if someone wants to meet for observing or gettogether it could involve a couple of hours drive. Essex on the other hand has an esturine problem, I noted elswhere in this group a location near Southend, now if I had a boat it would take 15mins from Tendering, however it takes 1 1/2hrs by car.

True.

So the entry requirement for the East Anglia group was that you needed to be able to watch Look East.

Is the entry requirement for the Essex group that you listen to Dave Monk in the mornings?

Guilty as charged!! I must be getting old.

Archived