Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Parts Am I Missing?

Hi all,

Last week I purchased the CG5GT Mount and 200p Skywatcher OTA from FLO but unfortunately some parts do not seem to be provided/given. I am still the Astro-noob, but I learn very fast, and would appreciate some direction for my setup.

So far, I have the following items declared missing:

Barlow

All Lenses

Focuser

Spotting Scope

However I am just reading through the CG5 Manual and I think there could be other missing parts too - particularly concerning the mount! It would be appreciated if you could offer some direction to me so I can contact FLO about supplying these missing parts, and allow me to finally get set up. :)

Here are two pics - OTA and Mount:

photoupx.th.jpg

photo1gxs.th.jpg

1. Should this mount or OTA come with a fixing to allow the OTA mounting dovetail bar to connect to the mount? There are two screw in connectors on the mount but these do not correspond to anything on the OTA bar. This would appear to be quite unstable and may cause the OTA to fall off/slide during operation. There are no screws supplied either for the OTA/Mount for an additional dovetail bar to be used/attached.

2. Should the mount come with a power connection for the GOTO drive motors?

3. What else comes with these items as standard? (I have a feeling I am missing a fair amount of stuff - they were reduced but only through being in damaged boxes, no mention of incomplete or missing kit).

Many thanks for your time.

Actually looks like it should go together according to the pictures.

The tube has a dovetail, the mount has a luck that looks like it'll take the vixen style dovetails?

Ant

Actually looks like it should go together according to the pictures.

The tube has a dovetail, the mount has a luck that looks like it'll take the vixen style dovetails?

Ant

Hi Ant,

I've tried the OTA in the mount and it doesn't really inspire confidence in the design and feels like it may slide, it feels like there should be something else connecting to it or into it?

The dovetail is the correct size for the mount - there's nothing else. You simply loosen the two screws on the head of the mount and slot the dovetail into the opposite side of the head from the screws, lower the dovetail fully into the head and then tighten them. It really shouldn't slip.

There's also clearly a focuser on the pic of the OTA so if that's your scope, it isn't missing.

Have a chat with FLO on Wednesday about your concerns - they're very helpful people :)

The dovetail is the correct size for the mount - there's nothing else. You simply loosen the two screws on the head of the mount and slot the dovetail into the opposite side of the head from the screws, lower the dovetail fully into the head and then tighten them. It really shouldn't slip.

There's also clearly a focuser on the pic of the OTA so if that's your scope, it isn't missing.

Have a chat with FLO on Wednesday about your concerns - they're very helpful people :)

Thanks - as I said, i'm a total Astro-noob currently as my post above shows! I will attempt the OTA assembly to the Mount, and will hold my breath when I release grip... :Envy:

Just to quickly follow-up, i've assembled the OTA and Mount, but it still doesn't inspire confidence in the design. The Mount has a 45 degree edge and a straight 90 degree edge which does not fit the dovetail very well at all. The following diagram should allow you to understand what i'm on about:

20008796.th.png

The two screws highlighted in red are basically just screwing in to the metal side of the dovetail, there is no hole or gap for them to sit inside, and they are both pushing on nearly the same point on the mount. It feels like there should be some hole or gap for them to screw into on the Dovetail mount or something?

Am I crazy or does this make sense?!

You are using the gear correctly - thats the way it works. Tighten the clamping knobs tightly and yes, they will mark the dovetail bar. I've had heavier tubes than yours on the same mount and, believe it or not, they have not fallen off !

OK then, thanks John!

One last question...

What is this piece for?

photo2peg.th.jpg

It would appear to fit the mount perfectly and allow both screws to seat in it, but there is no way of fixing this to the dovetail OTA bar.

It's a short dovetail bar. It always seems to be supplied with Skywatcher scopes but is only of use with much lighter scopes than yours.

OK then, thanks John!

One last question...

What is this piece for?

photo2peg.th.jpg

It would appear to fit the mount perfectly and allow both screws to seat in it, but there is no way of fixing this to the dovetail OTA bar.

Thanks John, you're a star (no pun intended!).

Any idea as to my potential missing pieces? Should the Mount have a power cable supplied as standard (if you know)?

Attached is the setup right now too...

460727_10151013309314188_680842086_o.jpg

I suspect that the vast majority of mounts, weighing what they do, and probably a lot of OTAs (if they come from the same place at the same time) come drop-shipped directly from the UK distributor no matter which retailer you buy it from. Fortunately, the choice of retailers does have a bearing on how easy it is to sort out problems and with FLO you shouldn't have any difficulty.

Not sure about the missing bits,but the scope is the chepest thing to buy ,it's now that all the extras will come to life this scope and mounts going to really help you I love these scopes and the mount will let you take some great images prepare to spend the same amount again in extras

Pat

When I had a 200P, the eyepieces / barlows and finder scope were all packed in a small flattish box inside the very large OTA box - have you checked that there's nothing else there??

Hi Steve,

Yup - FLO confirmed that they had sent the wrong one out and were going to dispatch me the missing parts last Wednesday IIRC. :)

Archived