Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My baby has arrived :D

Vega

Had a call from home in work this morning.... "What's these two huge packages we had delivered this morning" :D:):( ... my face slowly rises to one almighty grin as I realise my baby has arrived.

Just finished assembling... was a breeze.

tn_dobbo 000.jpg

ooh BIG boxes

tn_dobbo 001a.jpg tn_dobbo 003.jpg tn_dobbo 005.jpg tn_dobbo 006.jpg tn_dobbo 007.jpg

I am well impressed with the white finish. The wood is of good quality. I really like the look of that focuser. Is that rack and pinion or a lovely crayford (steve ?). As it's still light outside, I'm off to check collimation to calm my excitement.

It's the Skyliner 250PX (10")

Thanks go out to Steve at FLO.. top man.

Vega

Nice one :D. That's the 12" right? The 10" didn't have a crayford (well mine didn't anyways).

Word of warning though especially in conditions like this, keep that base dry as it's made of MDF. If it gets wet, the wood will swell up and your base is knackered. I had a couple of paving slabs for mine and did the trick nicely.

Tony..

Thanks all... forgot to say what scope it was! updated now.

Hi Tony thanks for the tip about the MDF will take on board, It's the 10" btw. Collimation was spot on. Skies looking great at the moment..it's now outside cooling down :D

Cheers

Matt

Thanks all... forgot to say what scope it was! updated now.

Hi Tony thanks for the tip about the MDF will take on board, It's the 10" btw. Collimation was spot on. Skies looking great at the moment..it's now outside cooling down :D

Cheers

Matt

Congrats on your new scope, you are in for a treat with it as mine has been wonderful. Don't forget your sunglasses when you look at Jupiter !!

Have fun.

Jim

That base is suspiciously uncanny, looks almost (if not) identical to my StarHopper one! I suppose there can only be so much variation of the same thing.

Great scope Vega, now get out there and hunt down those faint fuzzies!

Nice 'scope. I have the 12" version and the focusser looks almost identical to mine - it's a crayford, not R&P.

Get yourself a set of Bobs Knobs ordered for the secondary - well worth it, believe me. Also, you might want to think about waterproofing the bottom of the base sides. A couple of days ago I took mine apart and put a couple of coats of clear varnish on the exposed chipboard edges. The base is made from laminated chipboard (not MDF) but the bottom edges of the base sides and front piece aren't covered in laminate so if any damp gets under there it's going to swell and crack eventually. You dont have to completely disassemble it - just remove the round base (6 screws) from the assembled front/side pieces and you'll see the exposed chipboard on the bottom edges. Put 2 coats of varnish on and let it soak into the chipboard, let it dry overnight, and it'll seal it.

I'm hoping to get first light on mine tomorrow night in a field somewhere near Salisbury (starparty) - about time too, I've had it nearly 2 months now :shock:

Nice 'scope. I have the 12" version and the focusser looks almost identical to mine - it's a crayford, not R&P.

Get yourself a set of Bobs Knobs ordered for the secondary - well worth it, believe me. Also, you might want to think about waterproofing the bottom of the base sides. A couple of days ago I took mine apart and put a couple of coats of clear varnish on the exposed chipboard edges. The base is made from laminated chipboard (not MDF) but the bottom edges of the base sides and front piece aren't covered in laminate so if any damp gets under there it's going to swell and crack eventually. You dont have to completely disassemble it - just remove the round base (6 screws) from the assembled front/side pieces and you'll see the exposed chipboard on the bottom edges. Put 2 coats of varnish on and let it soak into the chipboard, let it dry overnight, and it'll seal it.

I'm hoping to get first light on mine tomorrow night in a field somewhere near Salisbury (starparty) - about time too, I've had it nearly 2 months now :shock:

I've just checked and there seems to be yet another new feature to the 250px (presuming that focuser is a craford?)..... all edges (including bottom edges) to the wood now have a black covering all round :D. To see what I mean look at the first picture of the scope, it's the same black covering as shown around the edges of the two circle bases. As a compromise to using varnish, I have covered the corners to the bottom edges with black isolating tape to stop the covers from coming off over time.

Vega

Archived