Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

tracking help

just wondering if im looking at buying the right bit of equpiment,

ive had my first scope now for 5 days & its awsome but as a complete novice i didnt realise how fast the objects move across the ep so im looking at a tracking motor & as i got my scope from flo i saw this on there web site (Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ3-2)

which would fit my mount is this what i need to keep a planet in centre of ep? & are they complicated to fit? & do i need to download softwear to track or would this do it all for me? any advice much appreciated.

The dual axis motor drive takes about 10 minutes to fit (each motor is attached to the mount with a single bolt). The drives provid a number of tracking rates, the normal tracking speed will keep a planet in the eypiece for a number of minutes if the mount is accuratey polar aligned. The drives don't require any software to operate, they just drive the mount at a set rate.

Peter

Phil - I added the tracking motors to my EQ3-2. It is indeed a simple job. As long as you get the scope reasonably polar aligned it will keep objects in view even at high magnification.

It's worth attaching the motor controller to the top section of one of your mounts legs with velcro, I found I could just reach down and press the buttons while looking through the eyepiece or at my laptop when imaging. Just make sure you choose the right leg so its on the same side as the eyepiece most of the time.

thanks speedyf, good info on that video, its helped alot,

& i forgot bout the bank hols, ordered it monday & came thursday so all credit to FLO

just got to wait for the stubborn clouds to go now to test it out

thanks again all

I have just a single RA motor (was already fitted to the mount) and it makes a big difference in observing pleasure. My avatar shows what you can capture with my set-up on Jupiter (8" scope rather than your 6")

was that taken with a camera or a web cam ? its an awsome pic of jupiter

cant wait for it to come into view again see what mine will look like.

i have purchased exactly the same drives for my eq3.they certainly look easy to fit and will make a world of difference to viewing and for me imaging as well

they are easy to fit i was worried bout that but had them on in 5 mins made another post in the help section cause i was worried at not seeing the ra axis moving but was answered, movement to slight to see with eye untill i put it through the webcam

& cause its to cloudy at mo i just got a car wheel in the ep & both motors work fine (not that i was tracking the wheel lol) cant wait to track that beautifull saturn soon

have fun & fingers crossed for clear skies

i might have to invest in one of those ive read about everyone raving bout them

mine was only £5 & i know its not a ccd chip but i took this before i got my tracking motor

Capture 01_06_2012 23_21_32.bmp

i know the focus & colour are not good but i was happy with it after a week in the hobby

if you can advise on settings in sharpcap or registax it would be great as im not clued up on them yet.

Phil - i just aquired an xbox live cam which has a ccd. Going to try it on saturn as soon as its clear. Might be an alternative to the philips. I will let you know how i get on :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Phil - i just aquired an xbox live cam which has a ccd. Going to try it on saturn as soon as its clear. Might be an alternative to the philips. I will let you know how i get on :)

yeah that would be great to see what images it produces

i might look on net for one

how much you pay?

£3.85 brand new on Amazon. :) I just swapped my nosepiece and IR filter off the front of my philips one.

think i'll get me one of those & for a ccd its way cheaper than the sony ones think they all missed a trick :laugh:

1. The xbox cam is not as good as the philips spc, I have both and spent a couple of nights comparing them just to see. They are still very usable though.

Thats interesting. I got the xbox as a back up in case I do something daft to my philips. I'm hoping for some clear sky to do a Saturn comparison for myself. Saturn may set for the year before the sky clears at this rate :(

Archived