Hi guys. Is there anywhere i can take a stone/rock to get checked out to see if its a meteorite? i live in Widnes, cheshire.

The story is, my uncle is a metal detectorist and hes stummbled upon a strange find. Why out one sunny day he got strong signal why out detecting, strong enough to resemble a good find (gold or silver so he dug it up and found a very heavy type stone or rock, obviously metal in some way to get such a good strong beep, now hes let me listen to the strength of the beeps between this rock and a piece of iron and other bits hes found and there is cleary a stronger more clear signal of alarm for the rock.

Really i just want someone with trained eyes to have a look at it, i have it in my possesion so can post/email photos if needed first.

Be nice if it was a meteor but the strange thing is Its not magneticis but yet way to heavy to be aliminium, is this normal for meteors?

Thanks for any feedback guys,

Much appriciated!!

Mark.

Mark.

The Natural History Museum have a lot of expertise on meteorites and a great collection of them. The head of that department is Dr Monica Grady and her colleague Dr Sara Russell. These people are world experts in this field and have written several books on the subject.

You could at least send some photos and a description of the find to them.

Hi Mark,

I'm no expert but this one sounds interesting, would you be able to post pictures on this thread so we can have a peek? and let us know how you get on if you take it anywhere for examination please.

D.C

Not going to be much help but might jog someones memory:

There is a person that travels and gives talks on meteorites, also sells them. His talks are pretty good, nice and easy for beginners to understand.

Catch is I cannot recall his name and cannot see it on the site of the group that I saw the talk at.

Idea being find out who, send him an email and picture.

Did recall that he said one good place to find meteorites is in old dry stone walls. The farmers would use them as they were heavy and lying around, not knowing what they were in the first place they were looked on as a heavy stone.

Will say do not send it away, you may never get it back, and they are reasonably valuable in some instances.

Solution: Looks up meteorites for sale:

David Bryant: http://www.spacerocksuk.com/

Have a look and see if any talks or fairs are close enough to visit.

can't help but feel the need to point out I'm originally from Widnes too !! ..... and called Mark

My uncle that found it is also called Mark, Mark Batty. You may know him or the family name it's well known in widnes.

Thanks for all replying very much appriciated. I can email photos but I only have access to the net threw my iPhone, i could email one of you guys some pictures and if you could upload them to this thread for me???

Many thanks again,

Mark.

A previous colleague found something unusual and took it home with the expectation of it being a meteorite. It ended up being a fairly radioactive source and was quite lucky one of his buddies had a Geiger counter brought round 'for a laugh'.

I believe it was Beta Radiation so middle level threat range. I do not know what happened to it, but I believe it did come from space.

• 3 months later...

Archived