Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Achro Vs Apo?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing was a huge factor in my rapid return to refractors

Going by my experiences, that's totally understandable.

I can lose count on my fingers and toes the number of times I'll shift my head over from the 200K, to the Apo, to get a better planetary view. Of course when seeing is good(struggling to remember when!), the Klev is a joy. Would love to try the 6" Klev and see if it's as effected as it's 8" brother. Mind you, I'd also like to try the 125R, as it's said a good 5" frac is one of the best for planetary work.

Mmmm.

How close does your Equinox ED100 get to the Mak 150 on the planets Tony ?

Usual swings and roundabouts, John.

Last viewing session on Saturn earlier this week using both scopes

100ED.. Pros: Low cooldown time. Crisp and contrasty. Very

pleasing views.

Cons: A touch dim at higher mags (why oh why did I

sell the 120?)

150 Mak.. Pros : Nice bright image. Near APO views. Compact.

Cons: Longer cooldown time. Although sharp, it still

lacks the "bite" of a refractor. Still nice though.

I usually start off with the refractor whilst the mak is cooling for widefield/planetary viewing then swap with the mak for any planetary viewing. :(

Thanks for that Tony :(

I'm pleased to have an ED120 now - superb scope and it could quite possibly end up as a "one scope" solution for me if I ever need to reduce my "arsenal" :)

Damo, do you have a 12" dob? before you spend any cash, make an aperture mask for about a quid. I think you might just squeeze a 100mm hole between your vanes. you'll be surprised at the view, I can almost guarantee it. this would create a 100mm f15 'apo'.

I have never had planetary views like the ones through my 16" masked to 170mm through anything else. a 6.7" f11 0.984 strehl apo is certainly impressive.

Just imagine what an actual frac with those sort of specs would cost :(

and that's just the OTA. the required mount would be even more I'd wager!

Not to mention a circular patch of real estate about a hundred metres in diameter!!! (And another piece about fifty miles in diameter as an LP exclusion zone.)

They do exist. Of course, it has to be Takahashi, so...

http://www.takahashi-europe.com/en/FET-300.php

Olly

Archived