Get Turn Left At Orion!!!

I just picked up a copy of the above book from the library as they ordered it from Amazon a while back when I asked if they had it.

Even from just having a quick 15 minute flick I can see that this book is going to make finding DSOs and other stuff so much easier and more enjoyable than using other books I have looked at.

There are simple diagrams of what you can expect to see with telescopes at the lower end of the price range and detailed instructions on how to find them using easy to find stars as waypoints and signposts.

Can't wait for a bit of clear night sky to try it out.:)

It's a great looking book, mine arrived yesterday. Had a good look at it and took it out last night. I tried using it to find M81 and M82. I followed the instructions but couldn't hunt them down. I was in the right area so maybe it wasn't the best conditions last night. I will certainly take it out again and hunt for them again and more targets, Maybe M57 next . This book will be a very useful addition to anyone's scope set up.

It is certainly not the cheapest book out there but certainly worth every penny. I would imagine that nearly all of us has a copy of it and the new spiral bound version with I believe a section for dobsonian users makes another good reason for getting hold of a copy. I certainly learnt plenty from it.

James

It is certainly not the cheapest book out there but certainly worth every penny. I would imagine that nearly all of us has a copy of it and the new spiral bound version with I believe a section for dobsonian users makes another good reason for getting hold of a copy. I certainly learnt plenty from it.

James

I'm not saying tlao isn't a great book. in fact i think its the better of the two. i'm just saying that the collins book is also a good book. its got some interesting reading in it apart from the finding section.

I wouldn't be without tlao:)

It is indeed a superb book.

I like the extra info it gives on objects as well as the star hopping guides. Planispheres and star charts are useful companions but you can't beat the extra info TLAO gives.

However my most used session guide is the magazine planisphere centrefolds (S@N or AN). Helps track the current locations of planets, comets and the like.

However my most used session guide is the magazine planisphere centrefolds (S@N or AN). Helps track the current locations of planets, comets and the like.

That is really strange as I find I cannot get on with Planispheres at all. Am I the only one I wonder?

I tend to get the evenings view up on Stellarium and then print screen the screens I am interested in.

That is really strange as I find I cannot get on with Planispheres at all. Am I the only one I wonder?

I tend to get the evenings view up on Stellarium and then print screen the screens I am interested in.

no your not richard, they aint my bag either. prefer my s&t atlas . :)

Version 2 is entitled "A Hundred Objects......" and is hardbacked. Version 1 is "Hundreds of Objects...." and is card backed spiral bound, is the most recent update, and has far more information. Hope this helps your decision

Archived