Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ethos 2" Barrel extensions

TakMan

I decided to purchase 2x extensions to make it easier to use 2" Lumicon UHC and OIII filters across the range.

Televue Eyepiece Barrel Extender EBX-2120

Received today from the Widescreen centre... and they are BLACK anodised ALUMINIUM...?

I have sent them an email to check because they (and everyone else advertises them as just aluminium....)

I know it just from an aesthetic point of view (because they now DO look like add-ons), but does anyone know if Televue have revised them....?

Hoping JohninDerby is reading this as it's the sort of thing he'd know...! ;-)

Regards,

Damian

I thought the TV ones were chrome / alloy finish :)

I use the 28mm Baader Fine Tuning Rings on my Ethoi. They are threaded for filters, internally blackened and cost a lot less than the TV ones. The Baader ones are black too though.

I used the BFTR's too. I bought a cap like this to put on the end http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/flo-threaded-caps.html superb quality.

I forgot about those Shane and I have some of the 1.25" variant. I also use the Baader ftr on mine but given the cost of the Televue part I think they should at least include an original 2" cap.

PS. Bit of a City fan are we :)

No it does not.... hhmmmm

So, more money, not matching and no end cap....

I have corresponded with 'JohninDerby' just to check that I was not being farmed off with the Baader ones...., not that I would expect that from Simon, The Widescreen Centre or any other reputable UK dealer for that matter - but the wrong item could have got boxed up by mistake, etc, etc....

I have emailed them and await a reply....

-----

It does say Televue on the box and the part number.

Nothing inside mind.... did not come with anything in the box 'Televue' related...

Somebody else also mentioned the Baader set. Is the 28mm the length of the barrel (minus screw thread attachment into the eyepiece?)

These are: 35mm total length (including screw thread) and 30mm just the barrel

-----

So, it appears that these are the genuine thing, pity I was not advised (or Televue advising their dealers) about the change.....

But, when it's dark and it's shoved in the focuser I don't think I'll notice, do you!!!!!????

Damian

...Somebody else also mentioned the Baader set. Is the 28mm the length of the barrel (minus screw thread attachment into the eyepiece?)

These are: 35mm total length (including screw thread) and 30mm just the barrel.....

The Baader FT rings give a 28mm extension so that is the barrel length, excluding the screw thread. It's enough to ensure that a filter easily clears the 1.25" barrel on the 13mm and shorter focal length Ethoi.

Thanks for all the help.

I have decided to return them - Simon did try to say that that is what Televue now ship (and was not overly keen to have them returned at the start of our 'phone conversation - as they were not 'faulty' - which I can 'sort of' understand), but, they were not what I was expecting (or advertised) by him (or any other Televue dealers for that matter).

I think that both Televue and their dealers should make customers aware of this change, but at least he has offered a return and credit of monies spent....

Having said that, I was already thinking (whilst in conversation with him), what the helpline was for my credit card company if I did not get a return..... pity....

So, I can save my money and either get the Baaders, or, preferably get a local company to machine me up some matching ones like the original Televue extension tubes.... there's always 'something' isn't there!

Regards,

Damian

....So, I can save my money and either get the Baaders, or, preferably get a local company to machine me up some matching ones like the original Televue extension tubes.... there's always 'something' isn't there!....

Just out of interest Damien, what are you after that the Baader FTR's lack ?

They seem well finished and machined to me and do what I want extremely effectively.

Just out of interest Damien, what are you after that the Baader FTR's lack ?

They seem well finished and machined to me and do what I want extremely effectively.

John, I may indeed go the Baader route....

What I would have liked is the original uncoated metal design (to match the Ethos barrels), which I know is only an aesthetic thing (which I am not going to see in the dark and when said eyepiece+extension is shoved in focuser!!!!) Problem is I work in design (+OCD), and I want it to 'look right' - sorry about that, can't help it.... HELP :D !

Having said that, I'm sure there is an argument to suggest that a black extension tube is better for keeping reflections/scatter at bay.... so, I would really like the original design with a blackened interior - not asking for much am I ;)

Thanks for all the replies (and support!) :)

Regards and clear skies to you all,

Damian

Must say the colour doesn't bother me but I can see how a designer would feel.

I use mine with my 12mm T4 and simply leave it on all the time. But, If the extension piece had not come with an end cap......that would have bothered me, having to keep removing it each and every session.

It certainly seems a bit of an oversight by Televue to stop providing said cap. It must be a relatively new decision on their part.

Archived