Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading to Skyliner 200P, a few questions

Hi everyone,

After buying my Heritage 130p a few months ago I have become hooked :). Now the inevitable has come and I have got aperture fever :). Been saving up these past few months and have about enough to get a Skyliner 200P.

First question, may seem obvious, but will there be a big improvement on visual from the 130P?

Second, can this scope be put on an equatorial mount at a later stage? I would really like to get into DSO imaging in the future and was thinking of saving up for a HEQ5/NEQ6 for xmas and was wondering if this scope could then be put on that or is the explorer 200p slightly different so it can be mounted?

Third, and last ;), are there any must haves you would recommend? I have bought Turn Left at Orion (great book :D) and will be looking to buy a Telrad finder for the 200P so is there anything else?

Thanks in advance,

Sion

You can purchase some tube rings (and a dovetail bar?) to mount the OTA on an EQ mount if you wish.

I purchased a right-angled, finder for mine as I found I had to contort myself to look through the supplied straight-through one. Also the image is now right-way up left-right is correct throug the finder making it easier to scan the sky in my opinion.

I'm probably going to get a Rigel/Telrad shortly also to make star hopping easier.

TLAO is very good, I also have the excellent book by Robert Bruce Thompson & Barbara Fritchman Thompson Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer (DIY Science)

Yes the views will be better. It's hard to quantify how much "better", but it will be a big improvement.

You can mount them, with tube rings, but they are heavy, and will require a VERY sturdy mount for AP. The explorers are a shorter focal length at 1000mm as opposed to the dobs 1200mm.

As for extras... Personal taste really, i get on ok with the finder, but a right angled one would be nice, but at ~£70 it would be a luxury. A decent 8mm eyepiece would be good, and a decent wide angle low mag eyepiece, something around a 32mm.

Just use it stock for a while, you'l soon find stuff you want to change.

Hi Sion

The 200 skyliner isn't the nations favourite for no reason. It's a great scope. And will provide you with some great views.

Not sure I would chose one mounted on an EQ as my first imaging rig though.

I would keep imaging and visual seperate.

In Dob mode. I would purchase myself a "sky atlas 2000" this is the Dob users standard star atlas, and will be an invaluable aid for years to come.

Hi Sion ...

I bought a 150PL (same OTA as a Skyliner 150) after owning the Heritage130p for a couple of months and I noticed a difference. You'll definitely need a hefty EQ mount/tripod though. I got an EQ3-2 with mine and, although it's a bit of lump, it just about holds everything steady. I also found that, due to the weight, it takes me a while to set up, so I'm actually in the process of making a dob mount as we speak.

Thanks again for the replies everyone :)

Not sure I would chose one mounted on an EQ as my first imaging rig though.

I would keep imaging and visual seperate.

If you were to pick a scope for imaging what would it be? I should be able to get around £1000 to put together an imaging setup by xmas.

Thanks again,

Sion

If you were to pick a scope for imaging what would it be? I should be able to get around £1000 to put together an imaging setup by xmas.

Thanks again,

Sion

Toughie that, as I have the sum total of zero interest in imaging.

But if I were to think about it I would look at a small frac probably an 80ED on a HEQ5. From what I can tell using a frac allows you to concentrate on the image itself, rather than faffing around fiddling with kit all night.

I used to play at deep sky astrophotography when emulsions were the thing, and faffing around with kit was really off putting for me. The advent of DSLR,s and CCD cameras have made things a little easier but I still would want the less faff the better if I ever took it up (fat chance:D) again.

Thanks again,

Sion

I too am saving up for an Neq6, i'm gunna have to use my 200p for a while though. then i'll probably get a frac down the track as i think imaging is the way i want to go.

If your looking at an neq6 that leaves you with about £50 for the scope:( Of course you can get the mount for chrissy and then an apo for easter:D

slightly off subject - I'd make myself a setting circle to add to the dob base and buy a wixcey for @ £25 - you've then got together with a wide angle lens a really easy and cheap goto solution

scan the DIY section - plenty of advice there if your thinking about it.

Of course you can get the mount for chrissy and then an apo for easter:D

Sounds like a good idea :).

Thanks for the suggestion about setting circle and wixey Stevetynant, looks a good way of finding your way round ;).

Sion

I've just seen a used 200p for sale in Warrington and I may be heading to Crewe tomorrow so its looking tempting. Is there anything I would need to look out for when buying a used scope. I guess mirror scratches and tube damage would be obvious ones but is there anything subtler that I need to check?

Many thanks,

Sion

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-heq5-pro.html

comes in at just under the grand..mount has the 'auto-guider' port & will carry the extra weight of a guide 'scope...allow for extras like a power supply etc. Good 'scope for visual use as well.

It's a nice setup but if he's already gunna have a skyliner 200p then a 200p with a mount might not be the best option as he'll already have a 8" newt. I'd rather keep the 8" dob for viewing and keep the eq mount for imaging. Just my thoughts

Scott

I now have just over £100 to spend on extras when I buy my 200p :). I was thinking of a Telrad (£35), some flocking material (£14), some material for dew/stray light shield (£10), some Baader solar film, gets annoying when we have clear days and cloudy nights :) (£22). I also wanted to buy a filter to enhance views. My question is, for the 200p, would I be better off with an OIII filter, a UHC filter or the skywatcher light pollution filter? All are in my budget so which would you recommend?

Thanks again,

Sion

Thanks again for all the advice guys :). Just ordered everything and should be here by Friday/Monday so if the good weather holds a first light report should be coming soon :(.

Sion

Archived