Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Solar Film

pajr777

When it arrives it has a clear 'cellophane' sheet, then the actual solar film, then a thin semi-opaque tissue paper sheet, then a printed paper sheet on either side.

Don't make the same mistake I did and include the cellophane layer in your solar filter sandwich :)

"Here's one I messed up earlier" :headbang:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only realised when I picked up the small offcut which was on my desk... d'oh!

Not a long job to replace the squares in my bino filter, but I might not have enough left to do the 150mm Newt after this mistake :)

In all honesty I don't recall a cellophane layer. Maybe I have also included it in my filter! Will have a look when I get home although the views seem pretty good. Is it between the two film layers or on the outside of one of them?

If you imagine the pack on a table, from the bottom up it goes:

- Plastic bag (bottom layer)

- Back glossy paper sheet with instructions

- Paper tissue

- Solar film

- Cellophane

- Front glossy paper sheet with the marketing info - the bit you would see when it's displayed at retail

- Plastic bag (top layer)

I only noticed it when I picked up an off cut and it became unaligned with the film itself. I checked my off cut against my filter using a halogen spotlight and the image was noticeably degraded - darker and with significant visual graining. I then tried to cut the cellophane layer from the completed filter but ended up scratching the film. I've just finished replacing the film so I'm all ready for the transit (we will be camping so I will only have bins with me).

Although I don't have enough film left over for a full aperture filter for the Tal, I will probably construct an off-centre aperture filter at some point with what I have left.

Edit: I only got one sheet of film in my pack so I'm not sure what you mean by "between the two film layers" ?

Paul, if you are a bit short of film just make a front aperture mask with a somewhat smaller hole to fit the film that you do have left. You don't need full aperture.

Olly

Thanks Olly, that's my plan for the Newt. I've sorted the binocs filter now, which was my main priority as that will be my available apparatus for the transit.

what a plonker I am and thanks so much for this thread! I have just cut into my solar filter and despite it given half decent views, the clear film was well and truly glued into place. I managed to salvage most of the film and can remake the thing but all very annoying! lesson learned. I put what I though was the film between two sheets of paper and cut out the shape and then glued it all together. I cannot believe that I missed this.

Moonshane, when I realised what I'd done I thought I'd post in the hope of alerting/helping others, pleased that I've been able to :headbang:

Perhaps we didn't do enough Blue Peter craft when we were kids :)

I think they may have realized the problem and altered the packaging - mine had a white plastic sheet where you describe the cellophane. At least I hope that's all it had!

Tom

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

I made the same mistake when I made a full aperture filter for my Skymax 127. And this was after I had already made a couple properly (without the clear film!) for my 150P, and a little one for a camera lens :)

The clear film is usually only discovered from the cutoffs ! I left mine on for now, it provides some small protection for the outer surface of the filter, the impact on viewing seems to be minimal. Also there does not seems to be any obvious colour impact. Though would be keen to know region of the spectrum this plastic sheet impacts.

If you imagine the pack on a table, from the bottom up it goes:

- Plastic bag (bottom layer)

- Back glossy paper sheet with instructions

- Paper tissue

- Solar film

- Cellophane

- Front glossy paper sheet with the marketing info - the bit you would see when it's displayed at retail

- Plastic bag (top layer)

if the paper tissue or cellophone is only on one side, does this mean that there is one side that should "sun side"?

(i am at work so cannot read the instructions on my film right now)

itlee.

does this mean that there is one side that should "sun side"?

(i am at work so cannot read the instructions on my film right now)

itlee.

With Baader film, no. It is coated on both sides as double safety. So there is no right way or wrong way round.

well I think it makes a massive difference. the views I have just had with a scope straight from the house were the best ever and getting better as the scope equalises.

I wish I'd realised when I made it - but hey - it's sorted now.

Archived