computer astronomy

hi, i use night skies network and i enjoy the broadcasts but i dont know what to do when no one is broadcasting on n s n.

i was thinking, if i download an image from google images of for example m1 or a planet, could i then edit it in adobe photoshop? i could do that when no one is broadcasting on night skies network, couldn't i?

also people tell me to play around on stellarium, why? it isn't real nor live. what is the difference between stellarium, redshift 7 and googlesky?

I'm not entirely following what you're asking.... are you looking to edit existing astrophotos? Or find objects in the sky with a telescope/binoculars? Stellarium is not "live" but it is a wonderful tool to help you find where things are in the sky when you want to search for them yourself. Were you wanting to edit astrophotos instead of searching for objects? I'm not entirely understanding what it is you want to do.

i cant use my telescope because of cloudy skies and i dont know what to do astronomy wise when the sky is cloudy. do i use stellarium as if it was a telescope when the sky is cloudy? i was thinking, if i download an image, could i then edit it in photoshop or cant i edit a previously edited picture?

What do you think of the slooh space camera? i saw on youtube the venus transit of 2004, it looks good because of the high magnification and its live but i have mixed thoughts on it.

Can always look up the SOHO data and see if you can find a comet to name!

http://sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/data_query

post-21702-133877774876_thumb.jpg

Depending on your connection, it may take a while to load, but people have named comets this way after themselves!.

This was comet Lovejoy(C/2011 w3) not so long ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2011_W3_%28Lovejoy%29

wIikJDB811U

Hope this helps a little.:)

On cloudy nights (of which there are many), i think most members here, are on here chatting or the imagers are processing data from images they have taken on clear nights.

Some are spending what cash they have on new gear.

There's lots to do on cloudy nights. Read a book about astronomy, play with Stellarium to learn the night sky, suft the web for images or info on astro related stuff.

Find a hobby away from astronomy is also a good idea. It gives you something to do on those cloudy nights.

If you have digital tv, there is always dozens of shows on various tv stations, related to astronomy. Too many in fact to watch. I have maybe 40 hrs of astronomy related shows recorded on my digital box recorder thingie.

hi, i use night skies network and i enjoy the broadcasts but i dont know what to do when no one is broadcasting on n s n.

i was thinking, if i download an image from google images of for example m1 or a planet, could i then edit it in adobe photoshop? i could do that when no one is broadcasting on night skies network, couldn't i?

also people tell me to play around on stellarium, why? it isn't real nor live. what is the difference between stellarium, redshift 7 and googlesky?

Stellarium is certainly easier to use than RedShift7. I paid for the full download of RedShift7 and have only used it a couple of times whereas I use Stellarium all the time. Wish I had saved my money - Stellarium is free as well.

have 2 kids, then you'll struggle to find time for anything! LOL

Of course, you can look at Stellarium if you wish. It would help to learn the sky. You could try to improve on other people's processed images if your skills are that good. Most people either process their own images when it's cloudy, buy other stuff, go on the forum, or do something unrelated to astronomy. Your imagination is the limit! You've come up with some ideas, most cost nothing to try and let us know if they were worth while. To be honest, note being rude, but you should be able to answer your questions by yourself.

i blow people up on Battlefield 3

Had me in stitches! :)

I spend a lot of time on here as being a newbie I learn loads.

I also read Sky at Night, gen up on notes I've taken, and gaze longingly at Stellarium!

Don't have time for anything else!

Alexxx

I spend a lot of time on here as being a newbie I learn loads.

You a Newbie? You've been around for a while now. :)

And all of us are always learning something new (I certainly do).

Dave

Archived