Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece Case Confusion

As I now have have started to collect some eyepieces to add to the SW ones I got with my scope plus a Cheshire Tool and Barlow plus other assorted bits and pieces. I wanted something decent to keep them safe and in one place so ordered this with the pluck foam lining : http://www.maplin.co.uk/flight-case-with-foam-36796 a few days ago after recommendations by others which arrived today. However!......

As I awaited it's arrival, I did a little more digging and am now totally bemused over what I have been reading. Some say that the foam gives off a gas that attacks the lenses, others say not. Some say that the ep's should be stored horizontally, others disagree and argue that they should always be vertical. Some say that yes, it's okay to store them either horizontally or vertically but you have to use a plastic bolt tube lined with felt at each end to prevent impact damage and use the caps as well. Some then say that the ep's should never be stored with the caps on but others say they should because the foam can scratch the lenses. Some say that you should keep them in plastic bags, others say that's a bad thing to do. Others say.................

Aaaargh! This is just as bad as choosing the scope and ep's! Surely it cannot be that complicated? It's just a case to hold some bits in! :clouds2:

Could someone clarify whether the ep's are best kept vertical, horizontal, capped or uncapped, in or out of bolt cases (with or without felt) aligned with Mecca when put in the cupboard after a viewing session....

I am sure it has to be easier than this so would appreciate any feedback from the sages frequenting this forum as to the most pragmatic, convenient and sensible way to store the ep's to enable me to easily access them and keep them safe. If I followed some of the methods I have read about, it would take me all night just to change an ep. :icon_scratch:

Personally speaking I keep mine horizontal just because it looks nicer.

I wouldn't worry because no matter which way they go in they'll end up on their side or upside down when carrying the case compared to when you have it open.

I keep mine capped until I use them because my case is always left open when in use,so the caps stop them getting moist while laying there.

Just lay it out how you like and don't worry.:clouds2:

For the past two years I've had a Maplins case that is full of expensive eyepieces (Tele Vue Naglers and Ethos) stored both horizontally and vertically, capped but unboxed, in recesses in the cubed foam insert. They have suffered no harm whatsoever to either their optics or their cosmetic finishes.

The Maplins case is the best eyepiece storage solution I've come across.

I take the case outside with me and replace the eyepieces in their hollows, between usage. Keeping the lid of of the case shut seems to keep the eyepieces at a little above outside temperature which reduces fogging of the eye lenses in cold weather.

I store my wide field horizontally and plossl and ortho vertically. (When the box is lay flat). I just go for which ever is most convenient.

When you talked about gas coming off the foam, are you referring to my post about the foam glue in Maplin's high impact case? I don't know if the solvent will attack the eyepieces, but I left the foam out in the sun for a day to evaporate just in case. The high impact case is air tight and sealed, so the gas can't escape during the journey from China to here. I don't know about the regular non airtight flight case. If you are worried, just leave it under the sun for a day.

first i have heard of anything like that :clouds2:

There was a post by someone who actually cited a chemist as saying that the different foams attacked the lens coatings and advised that small hole be drilled in the case to vent this. Okay, maybe foams do leech a gas but it seems incredible that someone would go so far. If I find the link again, I'll post it.

I used to be into Hi-Fi and came across similar 'extremes' such as wrapping electrically charged spiral wrap (which was not cheap as I remember) around cables to 'improve' the sound. I had heard a system both with and without this and could hear no difference. I wonder just how much info out there is just Snake Oil to get us to part with our hard earned readies?

... If you are worried, just leave it under the sun for a day.

Thanks for the advice Keith, it wasn't your post I was referring to. The case I have isn't the airtight one and I'm not worried about any gases or fumes as I would expect that any gases if present would vent anyway when the box was opened.

I was more astounded at the level some people go to which really muddies the waters for a beginner like me.

For the past two years I've had a Maplins case that is full of expensive eyepieces (Tele Vue Naglers and Ethos) stored both horizontally and vertically, capped but unboxed, in recesses in the cubed foam insert. They have suffered no harm whatsoever to either their optics or their cosmetic finishes.

The Maplins case is the best eyepiece storage solution I've come across.

John, thanks for feedback re the Maplins case. This is the very reason I bought it because others were actually using and recommending it.

I cannot imaging outgassing from foam or glue attacking lens coatings - certainly not unless you stored them together for years with the box air tight to hold in all the nasty vapors and with all the lenses uncapped.

As for drilling a vent hole :clouds2: That's just silly. The idea of a case is to keep dust, moisture, etc out of the box - not drill holes to let them in. EP's aren't white mice or gerbils - they don't need ventilation!

FWIW - I store all my lenses vertically (to save space) with caps ON - and a small piece of gaffer's tape on each lens cap to tell what focal length it is. Been doing it in foam-lined cases for over 25 years, all my school equipment is similarly stored. Hundreds of EP's over many decades of use, and not one case of the dreaded "foam vapor attack" on my EP's or their lens coatings. :icon_scratch:

From all I can see, your Malpins case sounds fine.

Dan

There was a post by someone who actually cited a chemist as saying that the different foams attacked the lens coatings and advised that small hole be drilled in the case to vent this. Okay, maybe foams do leech a gas but it seems incredible that someone would go so far. If I find the link again, I'll post it.

I used to be into Hi-Fi and came across similar 'extremes' such as wrapping electrically charged spiral wrap (which was not cheap as I remember) around cables to 'improve' the sound. I had heard a system both with and without this and could hear no difference. I wonder just how much info out there is just Snake Oil to get us to part with our hard earned readies?

While it may not attack the glass, if there is a high concentration of solvent vapour, it may degrade the plastic and rubber parts. It can be a potential problem if the case is airtight, but most Maplin flight cases aren't.

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciated. This is why I decided to join this forum as the advice is sound. I am certainly going to give the 'Snake Oil' post a read.

I keep everything I need in the one case (apart from the coffee that is) - easy to store, accessible and quick to pack away when your out in the field- foam flight boxes were built for astronomy as far as I'm concerned :0)

picture.php?albumid=1891&pictureid=17348

Just read the Snake Oil posts. Hilarious, except for that bloke selling those magnets that stick to your scope to improve views. Now that must be worth buying as he used big words :clouds2:

Just read the Snake Oil posts. Hilarious, except for that bloke selling those magnets that stick to your scope to improve views. Now that must be worth buying as he used big words :icon_scratch:

What is it with magnets? They sell 'Magnet Bracelets' in the pro shop at my golf club...they make you play better golf apparently???

Amazingly never a shortage of suckers with cash to burn!!!:clouds2:

What is it with magnets? They sell 'Magnet Bracelets' in the pro shop at my golf club...they make you play better golf apparently???

Amazingly never a shortage of suckers with cash to burn!!!:clouds2:

And I've just gone and ordered 3 sets too! :icon_scratch:

I have a Maplins case. Here are my current contents and no issues with the case, method of storage or eyepiece care. No matter whether the case is upside down or what, they are snug and happy :clouds2:

_D3H2344.jpg

I finally got my case sorted and here's a pic of what I ended up with. I have all the eyepieces I need - for now - so decided to use some of the extra space to keep all my bits and bobs in. There's a bit of room left for expansion if needed.

I was very careful to use a gas mask whilst I was cutting the foam too :)

Thanks for all the ideas and advice.

post-35507-133877773802_thumb.jpg

Archived