bst eyepiece

Hi all I have 130/900m f6.92. I've been reading lots of stuff about eyepiece's knowing that the standard ones that came with scope r not to clever I've been looking at gso plossl and bst as well I sure I'm gonna go for a few bst pieces. So my question is will bst be a good compliment with my scope. It does seem that bst seem to get a lot of good reviews. Any advice would be great. thanks. Would this make the scope perform loads better

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, the BST's will compliment your scope and perform extremely well at f/6.92. You will see the difference as soon as you look through the eyepiece, nice wide eye lens etc, makes them very comfortable to use. Twist up eyecups also a great feature.

I didn't know BSTs had twist up eye cups :clouds2: and I got three of them

:icon_scratch:. made me giggle. they do indeed have twist up eye rests. i have mind set almost fully extended .most comfortable for me.

I must admit that I too am going BST Explorer. I already have the 8, 18 and 25 and wished that they did a wider one at say 32mm. A tighter one than the 8mm would be good also, but I have my Williams Optics 6mm, and that will do for the minute (also have a x2 barlow, but with my gear that would probably be overkill!!)

Im planning to expand my explorer range, i recently got a celestron X-CEL lx but i prefer the explorer range

That bucks the trend a bit! With all the clamour for the x-cel range the impression i got was that folks were flogging their naglers for them...

andrew

That bucks the trend a bit! With all the clamour for the x-cel range the impression i got was that folks were flogging their naglers for them...

andrew

The X-cel certainly are gaining a good reputation, but the BST's are remarkably good also, and as they are found only at Skys the Limit they aren't so pushed as the x-cel. I believe the BST Explorers are cheaper as well.

The x-cel Barlow on the other hand seems a good buy, though a bit pricy.

I must admit that I too am going BST Explorer. I already have the 8, 18 and 25 and wished that they did a wider one at say 32mm. A tighter one than the 8mm would be good also, but I have my Williams Optics 6mm, and that will do for the minute (also have a x2 barlow, but with my gear that would probably be overkill!!)

BST do a 5mm EP as well as the 8mm. It's really good too :clouds2:

If you are going to buy a couple of bst's why not think about getting a zoom ep instead? I have the 18mm bst and it is a big jump up from the supplied ep's. I have also recently bought a astro engineering 7-21mm zoom ep from scopes n skies and whilst yes it was a hassle and involved phone calls etc, I would say it delivered even better performance than the bst. My bst is now just sitting in my ep box, only realy ever getting used to confirm that the zoom is better.

The zoom cost just over £80. Thats cheaper than 2 bst's and offers a whole range of magnification.

Oh it also has a removable cup so you can connect a dslr to the ep using a t thread adapter.

i have thought about going down route but my understanding and reading reviews that you cant beat a dedicated eyepiece rather than a zoom lens but i am a novice.also the bst eps seem to get very high praise on sgl.

i have thought about going down route but my understanding and reading reviews that you cant beat a dedicated eyepiece rather than a zoom lens but i am a novice.also the bst eps seem to get very high praise on sgl.

I suppose it depends on the quality of the eyepieces involved. As everyone's eyes are different I suppose it is all down to personal preference. If you can get a try before you buy that might be best.

I read this and another thread and then bought the BST 8mm together with the 3-element 2x Barlow. I had a ball with them tonight - Saturn and Cassini division! Immeasurably better than the 10mm that came with my Skywatcher 200P. Alan's service is great, shame about Royal Mail who took three days to deliver over a distance of 50 miles!

Archived