NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which 2" 38mm Eyepiece for f5 ?

I'd agree that 30mm - 32mm would be as long a focal length as it's worth using in an F/5-ish (the 250PX is F/4.7 I think) scope.

From my moderately light polluted back garden I find 20mm gives noticeably darker background skies so I don't often use my 31mm with my 10" F/4.8 newotnian.

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest you try it if you can. If you have a site reasonably free of local light pollution (e.g. Streetlight shining on your observing spot) you may be fine with a 38mm. If you get a dark cental patch, the exit pupil is to big. If not, you're laughing, and will enjoy the very low power views. It sounds like you want something lower than the 32 you already have..

I have a 38mm SWA which is unlabelled but was sold as an Adler Optik model. It works well as a wide angle finder eyepiece and my first view of M81 and M82 through it was a real *wow* moment. The dark shadow of the scope secondary fades once my eyes are fully dark accommodated, but the focal field is very curved and at my age I cannot hold the edge and centre in focus at the same time. I have to focus on an object well offf centre and the edge is still blurred. I use it with an Altair Astro (aka Astro-Tech, GSO) coma corrector so coma is not a problem and my scopes are effectively 10% longer at about f/5.

However I use my 24mm ES68 more. I would like a better long focal length eyepiece but it is still not at the top of my buying list. If I were to get one, it would probably be a Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm.

Archived