Hello from a Sunny British Warship

JimmyTW

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jimmy, welcome to SGL!

I'm lucky enough to have had two holidays in the India ocean (Maldives) several years ago (before kids, when I had money!). I recall looking up at the sky and being totally amazed at how many stars I could see. I could probably see the milky way but didn't even realise it. I did see a meteorite though. One day I'd love to go back...

Well that you all for your kind words....indeed I can see the milky way each night, and can't believe how lucky I am, i'm also getting others onboard interested which is great.

I did in fact order the Hama tripod for the bin's just because it's going to be even harder to keep them steady on a moving platform!

Just visited Amazon and got the Turn Left book on order, i'd noticed it before and can see it's highly regarded.

We have gyro compasses and the bridge team have plenty of software to show which stars/planets are visible at any particular time, although we don't use the stars to navigate like the days of old...it's good training for the junior officers.

Look forward to talking to you all on this cosmic journey!

• 1 month later...

Hi and welcome to the Lounge Jimmy. I totally agree with obtaining "Turn Left at Orion" a fabulous read.

Also, check out a technique used where a mirror is used, angled on the front of the binoculars so you can view the sky from a seated position.

Good for your posture and from holding the bino's for long periods. Obviously a tripod will help, but not looking up at the zenith.....

cheers

Steve

seeya.gif

Howdo. I once considered joining the Navy. But ended up in service with the Army instead. But that was a long time ago. Enjoy your tour and hope one day a meeting would result in beer and some stories told of things resulting in stars being talked about.

Archived