Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've just bought my first scope!! Now I need some help!!!

Hiya I've just bought my first scope the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian, which I thought was the best one for the money! I'm waiting for it to arrive and am a bit worried about the mount. I'm very new to this so bare with me, I've never even seen a real telescope ha!! Basically, from the pictures I can see that it's got a flat base, will this then mean I will have to put it on the floor and then sit and look through it? Or does it have a flat base and then poles (?) to bring it to eye level?? If it's the first then is there any option to put it on a tripod or something similar?! Like I said bare with me on this I may be sounding really stupid but yeh. Any help would be appreciated!! :clouds2:

Hi and welcome.

It stands flat on the base and most people, I think, sit to view. I put mine on a water but stand which brings it to eye level. Have fun with your new scope!

Hi Jen. Well you made the right choice as the dob is probably the easiest telescope to come to grips with, just spin in on its base to get the scope in the right orientation and then point the scope to where you want to view. Then use the viewfinder to centre onto the object :clouds2:

What you really need is an idea of what to look at and how to find it. A book like Turn Left at Orion and a star atlas like SkyAtlas 2000 would be a good starting point.

Stellarium is a good free computer planetarium but don't blind yourself with a computer out of doors, even with red acetate in front of the screen. Some will disagree but I won't be changing my mind.

Olly

Hi Jen,

I picked up my first scope - a 200P Dob - about a month ago. It must be my fault that we've had clouds ever since! I have managed two sessions, the first was in daylight to align the finder scope (amazing what you can see several miles away with great clarity - I was able to see "pole-pig" electricity transformers on posts I know to be 4 ,lies away) and the second time I watched Venus and the moon.

I simply placed the base on level ground - I have a stone drive - and pointed it where I wanted to look. It was that simple and the views of mountains and shadows on the moon's surface were wondrous. I don't have any filters yet so these were almost too bright. Venus was a surprise, both in colour and size. I was very dubious about buying a Dob as I thought I would be unable to nudge accurately. I shouldn't have worried, it was fine. Balancing the tension of the mount fixings is simply a matter of trial and error.

Start with the inner planets - they're nearer so appear bigger and brighter. I use Stellarium and its red outdoor option to spot stars but that's as far as I've got as the weather closed in. Hope you get more clear skies than I did early on!

+1 for Stellarium. The 150P isn't that big, it's smaller brother (which I own) is the Heritage 130P, which is the sort of size you need to stand it on a table. This one is a step up, and you should be able to view from a chair, or bending down perhaps. Someone posted a size guide of dobsonians somewhere on here, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Observing while in a seated position has been shown to be better all round for quality of views. You are more relaxed, your whole body is more relaxed and your eyes are more relaxed and this gives better all round viewing.

I think the EP on a 150 Dob is at a very comfortable height for observing from a seated position. I've never used one so cant be sure but i know many people use a chair while using Dobs. Cant remember the name of the chair it's an adjustable height one. Kind of like an IRONING CHAIR.

The 150P isn't that big, it's smaller brother (which I own) is the Heritage 130P, which is the sort of size you need to stand it on a table.

You really dont need to put the Heritage on a table to use it. I am in a wheelchair. The seat of my chair is the same height from the ground as the average kitchen chair and i can very easily use my Heritage. Maybe a stool slightly shorter then a kitchen chair would be better.

The 150P isn't that big, it's smaller brother (which I own) is the Heritage 130P, which is the sort of size you need to stand it on a table.

You really dont need to put the Heritage on a table to use it. I am in a wheelchair. The seat of my chair is the same height from the ground as the average kitchen chair and i can very easily use my Heritage. Maybe a stool slightly shorter then a kitchen chair would be better.

To stand, sorry, I should've clarified. I would've sat down, but the chair was wet.:clouds2:

Thank you all so so much!!! I literally had no idea I feel so stupid now haha but thank you all very much I feel a lot better and more excited about using it!! It has already arrived but I'm going to save opening it for my boyfriends birthday next Wednesday as he loves space and know it'll make his day!!! :clouds2:

Jen - there's no such thing as a stupid question, it requires a bit of bravery to actually ask what others want to know! I would say take the opportunities to skywatch as they arise - my weather forecast for about 100m west of you says cloud from mid-next week. I am hopeful of a good Saturday night with a new BST 8mm EP and a 2x Barlow that arrived today; clearly I am too old to appreciate a boy/girl friend and my long-suffering wife would not understand!!!

:clouds2:

Archived