Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Skywatcher HEQ5 and HEQ5 Syntrek are back!

We have some good news ;)

The regular Skywatcher HEQ5 and HEQ5 Syntrek mounts have returned. They were withdrawn from sale last year in favour of the more popular and higher spec'd HEQ5 PRO but have been re-released in response to demand here in the UK.

HEQ5_thumb.jpgskywatcher_heq5_syntrek_thumb.jpgPROHEQ5_thumb.jpg

So, we now three versions of the HEQ5 available:

Skywatcher HEQ5 features built-in motors and, a polarscope and manual handset. Best suited to visual astronomy.

Skywatcher HEQ5 Syntrek adds high quality stepper motors, new mother-board and ST-4 autoguiding port for astrophotography.

Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO is is a HEQ5 Syntrek but supplied with a Synscan GOTO handset, not the manual handset.

The regular HEQ5 can be upgraded to full PRO spec using the optional Synscan PRO GOTO Upgrade kit.

The HEQ5 and HEQ5 PRO are in stock, the Syntrek model will be available "soon".

Hope that helps,

Steve

so the motors in the black and the white ones are different too? not just the paint and the shape of the handset? glad these are back though... makes the jump up from the eq5 a lot smaller.

so the motors in the black and the white ones are different too?

Yes, that is why the HEQ5 upgrade kit costs so much, it includes new motors, motherboard and handset.

HTH

Would the standard HEQ5 be a suitable mount for an Evostar 150 F/8, for visual use only ?.

I have a set of the 2" CG5 tripod legs I could use with it.

Would the standard HEQ5 be a suitable mount for an Evostar 150 F/8, for visual use only ?.

I have a set of the 2" CG5 tripod legs I could use with it.

I would say that's the ideal combination, John. The EQ5 is okay, but it will definitely be happier on the HEQ5...

The only thing is, those Cg5 legs are quite short, so a HEQ5/EQ5 extension would be a good idea. They are all compatible.

FLO guys,

do you think that SkyWatcher will keep them in stock for a good while or is this a short term thing only? I'd really like the Syntrek model but it will most likely be towards the end of the year before i've got the money spare

I would say that's the ideal combination, John. The EQ5 is okay, but it will definitely be happier on the HEQ5...

The only thing is, those Cg5 legs are quite short, so a HEQ5/EQ5 extension would be a good idea. They are all compatible.

Thanks Andrew :icon_scratch:

The CG5 tripod I have actually seems to be a few inches taller than the standard HEQ5 one but I do have a 16" HEQ5/EQ5 pillar extension as well. With the CG5 tripod at full extension that puts the mount height to over 6 feet which ought to be enough - unless I invest in a 6" F/15 or similar :rolleyes:

The pillar extension means that you don't need the legs at full extension of course, which adds to the stability of the setup. The not inconsiderable weight of the pillar extension helps there too :clouds2:

Archived