Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for M57

Whilst scanning near Lyra with binoculars last night, a recent discussion on SGL came to mind. This concerned the magnification requied to view M57. Out of interest and remembering having seen M57 at quite low magnification, I decided to search it out. Now, lets be honest, it's not a difficult target if you know what you're looking for and I found it quite quickly.

However, the point of this post is that the SGL discussion suggested that you needed to use magnifications of x100 plus to find this object. Yet here was M57 sitting centre of the binocular field and clearly visable at x20. Yes, okay these are 100mm object glasses and x40 did improve the view but the object was "findable" at a very much lower magnification than that suggested by some observers.

What have others found? What is the lowest magnification at which you have seen M57?

Thing I find is that M57 stands out more at higher manifications

even though as you say, you can see it at lower mags too.

I think if you've never seen it before, it's so small at lower mags that you can

easily pass over it.. :(

Agreed, if you haven't seen it before then it does look rather like an out of focus star. Also, higher magnification = darker sky, giving you better contrast.

I can see it using a 32mm in my 150mm f5 refractor (x24) but I think as general advice for somebody looking for it for the first time, x100 is advisable (I think thats what the original thread was about?) otherwise its very easy to miss.

I've got a pair of 16x70 binos on the way, I'll give it a try with them. :(

I've found it in a 6" F/4.5 with a 25mm ep at 27X, but I've seen it before dark too, in the C8. Everyone's acorrect in that it's easy to pass over as distorted vision etc. It's MUCH smaller than you expect. In fact, it's the second smallest Messier object before M40, which is a double star.

Thanks for the input everyone :lol:

As has been pointed out, it's an easy object at low magnification if you know where to look and what you're looking for. Under my light polluted skies I have managed to see it at about X60 in an 80mm refractor. My 10x50 and 11X70 binoculars don't seem to get anywhere near it, although I have heard of people being able to see it with 10x50s, but probably under the sort of skies I regularly dream about :):(

Thanks, Peter, that was just about my experience with 20x100 bins.

And thanks, Ant, like you I've had no luck with 10x50s even with a tripod, but give it a go, might be that your sky is better than mine.

I tried it tonight in my 16x70 binos (handheld) under pretty good conditions. I could make out a star where M57 was but could not see that it wouldn't focus or that there was anything to suggest it was anything but a star.

I'll blame the shaky hands.... :D

Gaz, have you got an O-III filter? I've hand-held mine while doing M27 (Dumbbell) observations with the 11x70s and it works pretty well. It not only enhances planetary nebulae but it dims the starfield. I've never done it with M57 (Ring), but if you have an O-III it might be worth a try. :D

I can find it and see it easily with my 32mm EP in my celestron SLT 114 focal length 1000, thats at roughly 32x mag! Quite visible too, especially in a very light polluted bck yard and with the neighbours security light permanantly on!!

Darren :)

Of course, but you don't see a lot of 32x binocs. :D

I can find it and see it easily with my 32mm EP in my celestron SLT 114 focal length 1000, thats at roughly 32x mag! Quite visible too, especially in a very light polluted bck yard and with the neighbours security light permanantly on!!

Darren :(

Of course, but you don't see a lot of 32x binocs. :D

Binos are handheld as well, maybe I should get a Barlow for my 16x70s?? :)

Yeah i can see it as a nice round blob in my 32mm EP, i get down to my 10mm and its beautiful! Cant see much detail as ive only a small scope but last weekend at the star party looking through maccers 10" celestron on eq6 pro with a 10mm pentax XW was soooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttt!

Darren :D

Archived