Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

(suoer)MOONSTRUCK!

One would think that after last night with the famous "supermoon" , that many posts covering the event prevail but no. To tell you the truth, I must admit feeling quite bothered about the "hype" the news conjured up with their flashy headlines and promises of wonder. In the end, there was little to see without some sort of measurable reference that the moon was "bigger". The media did it again, promised something they knew little about, raised excitement and only delivered an illusion based on the power of suggestion.

Yes, the moon was it its closest, this is called a perigree. That's it. However, there was a time last evening where I felt elated since for once, all eyes ventured above to the night sky and searched to be mesmerized. The feeling we all have as stargazers was shared by all (even if just for a moment)! I hope it continues to grow and does not wane once the headlines become yesterday's news.

The moon is always beautiful.

LUNAR WONDERS

Liquid-less seas of rugged terrain with borrowed light,

Bombarded, impacted, now cratered shadows in time.

Daunting shine creating shadows in the subdued night.

Waxing, waning, eclipsing, sometimes reigning sublime.

Illness, destruction, the promise of monsters you bring

are all creations, wishes of doom born within the mind.

supreme darkness where feathered silence takes wing,

Intriguing, unknown, a sense of wonder to all humankind.

An attraction force, a pull far greater than we can surmise

elevating, decreasing, reducing, creating the ocean tide.

A magnetism, a scientific lust for discovery under disguise,

we searched to land, to walk, make you an object of pride.

But with all you've become and wonders you've captured,

I stand captured almost enraptured in a sense of awe

at the hope you may reveal many questions unanswered

always humbled by your presence, I could never withdraw.

Isabelle

Last night, I took the following pictures of the moon not really because it was bigger, but because it was there :

IMG-4210.JPG?et=%2CCXKka4nqogGNXZUqID9Jw&nmid=0P1010422.JPG?et=tS1BrkThRPjMaBhz%2Bs6wng&nmid=0574769_10150748258831286_521876285_9856186_616449983_n.jpg

Isabelle

Thank you Mark. It was nice that our wonder for the night skies was shared by so many last night. You should have seen how many people shared with me their pictures of our natural satellite. I wish it was not fed by the "hype" of the media but sometimes, it just takes a little push for others to appreciate the stars above.

Isabelle

I didnt even know about the "super moon" last night. I just noticed that as i was going to bed that the sky looked very blue at 2am under a full moon rather then the usual milky white. It was the oddest thing i have ever seen. It looked to me like the sky does a couple of hours after dusk.

Fully clouded out here did not see a thing you got the moon ,I thought it would generate lots of hype bubathink most of the UK was clouded out that night and has been here at my place for weeks now

Pat

I have to say Wartthog that it was "just another full moon to me as well" which is why I posted the poem. The moon is beautiful no matter if it is considered super perigree or ,...

Great pictures Richard!

Isabelle

Love your avatar name Isabelle 'stolenfeather', really nice name.:clouds2::)

Thank you Richard!

Unfortunately the name stands for something I can't control. I have MS and often feel like a bird with it's feathers stolen in the prime of its years. Fortunately, it has not bothered any of my physical abilities yet. It seems to have attacked my eyes very often though,.. as a stargazer, this is most horrible.

Yet, every "attack" to my eyes have come back 100%. I can only hope that this continues.

Isabelle

It's nothing to feel sorry about. I am doing very well and actually hiked the Grand Canyon a couple of years back. As for my eyes,.. the vision is still with me now so no worries.

I like your name as well since the guitar is my instrument of choice when it comes to listening to music. I've never played though. I wish you clear skies!

Isabelle

hi isabelle, love the poem.

i was lucky enough to visit canada twice in my youth. (alberta) have to say. the most stunning country ive had the privelidge of visiting. simply beutiful.

Thank you for the encouragement Rory. I hope to visit England one day myself!

Isabelle

We look forward to seeing you - just one thing - can you bring some of your clear skies with you please?

PS 'sologuitarist61' because once heard, no one wants to play with me :clouds2:. I guess I ought to update it too, should be 'sologuitarist65' now. :icon_scratch:

PS 'sologuitarist61' because once heard, no one wants to play with me :clouds2:.

Oh come now,.. I'm sure you are very good. :icon_scratch:

We've been lucky the past few days with the clouds but we'll be on another "covered" stretch real soon I'm sure.

Isabelle

Thanks Bunnygod! The moon is always something to wonder at ESPECIALLY when one is away from everything! I remember being in New Mexico a couple of years back. The land there is extremely flat and since we were on a ranch, no one around for miles,.. and then the moon rose.

I will never forget it.

Isabelle

Archived