Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New eyepieces

Albenn

Just received my Vixen NPL 8mm, 15mm & 30mm eyepieces from FLO :hello2: Can't wait to try them out! Assuming of course there is a break in the cloud which there may indeed well be according to the weather forecast for tonight.

However, as those who also live in Cumbria will testify, this region (especially around Kendal) takes no notice of the national forecast and does the exact opposite!

Just hope I've picked the correct ep's.......

I notice you say you've gone 30,15, & 8mm. Your not wishing to use your TAL x2 Barlow with them much then?:hello2:

As obviously Barlowing the 30mm gives 15mm and Barlowing the 15mm gives 7.5mm which is pretty close to the 8mm.

If you don't wish to use the Barlow then this is fine.:)

Nice! I originally ordered a 5mm vixen but they where out if stock so i canceled. Glad i did because I think the 8mm would of been a better choice. Let me know what the 8mm with a barlow is like please:)

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

That's an excellent choice of ep's, should cover everything to start with, I find I prefer not to use a barlow, your choices are great as they are, and will give great views, well done!

I notice you say you've gone 30,15, & 8mm. Your not wishing to use your TAL x2 Barlow with them much then?:hello2:

As obviously Barlowing the 30mm gives 15mm and Barlowing the 15mm gives 7.5mm which is pretty close to the 8mm.

If you don't wish to use the Barlow then this is fine.:)

Steve, I bought the Barlow originally to use with the SW ep's I got with the scope. The Barlow works well with the SW ep's but read that it is better to not use the Barlow unless necessary as it degrades the image so decided to go with the sizes chosen. I didn't want to go too high on the magnification and got the 8mm to see if the scope could handle this with the Barlow. If this proves successful I will probably get the 4mm too.

Perhaps a read of Al Naglers thoughts on barlows:

Concept: I originally designed the Tele Vue Barlow line to complement the high performance of our eyepieces. Only 2 elements of high index glass were required to reduce all aberrations to well below the airy disc in an f/4 system. It has taken a good 15 years, but I think we're finally laying to rest the popular myth of the "degrading Barlow." In a 1997 Sky & Telescope review, Terrence Dickenson wrote "...Technology has erased the old objections. A modern Barlow will not degrade your telescope's optics. Anyone telling you otherwise is using outdated information. Moreover, the highly regarded Nagler eyepieces and their clones have built-in Barlows - ample evidence that the lens is not some detrimental intruder." Thanks Terry, I couldn't agree more. — Al Nagler

Most modern Barlows are made like this.

If you don't wish to use them that is your call but as you can read the myth they don't perform is just that.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to use one, but don't be fooled that they degrade images

Enjoy your new eyepieces they are fine kit.:hello2:

I dont have the 4mm NPL. I bought the Celestron Omni 4mm instead back before i really had decided to go with NPL's. The 4mm Omni cost me 60 euro new.

Cant say i use it much except for exceptional nights of clarity and then i only use it on the Moon. Lovely views of the Moon. I think the 4mm NPL would be better.............and cheaper.

Live and learn.

Much as i love the NPL's.................i now have the Baddar Hyperion 8-24mm zoom which i use with my 8SE. I still use the NPL's with my Heritage.

I have used the NPL's with my 8SE and they are still simply stunning. The zoom EP is just a comfort that i dont have to keep switching EP's.

My original plan was to own a full set of NPL's but then i thought that that costs money and there is no need for it. The 8,15,30mm pretty much covers you.

Perhaps a read of Al Naglers thoughts on barlows:

Most modern Barlows are made like this.

If you don't wish to use them that is your call but as you can read the myth they don't perform is just that.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to use one, but don't be fooled that they degrade images

Enjoy your new eyepieces they are fine kit.:)

Steve, Thanks for the info re Barlows, it made interesting reading considering the negativity that surrounds them. I must admit that even with my inexperienced eye, that there didn't appear to be any degradation of the images when used with the SW ep's supplied with the scope.

I'm sure I will enjoy them - when and if the clouds go away! :hello2:

I dont have the 4mm NPL. I bought the Celestron Omni 4mm instead back before i really had decided to go with NPL's. The 4mm Omni cost me 60 euro new.

Cant say i use it much except for exceptional nights of clarity and then i only use it on the Moon. Lovely views of the Moon. I think the 4mm NPL would be better.............and cheaper.

Live and learn.

Much as i love the NPL's.................i now have the Baddar Hyperion 8-24mm zoom which i use with my 8SE. I still use the NPL's with my Heritage.

I have used the NPL's with my 8SE and they are still simply stunning. The zoom EP is just a comfort that i dont have to keep switching EP's.

My original plan was to own a full set of NPL's but then i thought that that costs money and there is no need for it. The 8,15,30mm pretty much covers you.

Steve, Thanks for comments and agree about the 4mm. I used a few online spreadsheets to see what would be optimum for the Heritage 130 and the results for the NPL 4mm were borderline for average conditions. So I thought, I have the Barlow already and could use that if conditions allow rather than pay any more for an ep I may rarely use.

I loved the views of the moon with my Barlowed SW 10mm and can't wait to see it with the Barlowed Vixen 8mm :hello2:

You mentioned you have a zoom ep. Now, when I was researching before I bought my first bino's, the advice was to avoid zoom types and all cost. I take it this does not apply to scope ep's then?

... Are they optically as good as single ep's? ....

The Hyperion zoom is very nice but, in my opinion, was not quite as sharp and contrasty as the fixed focal length Hyperions. It showed a little more light scatter around bright objects too.

There are other zooms like the Nagler 3mm-6mm zoom which really do rival excellent fixed focal length eyepeices but those are really quite pricey of course.

I've never tried fixed f/l Hyperions but by all accounts from people who have tried both, the fixed f/l EP's win by a bit. I love mine apart from the 8mm setting. The focus on the 8mm setting just seems a tad softer then the rest of the stops on the EP. Maybe that was down to "seeing" conditions on the few nights i have actually used it.

In my limited experience with the zoom EP i would say the quality of view is about 70-75% of that of the NPL's. But you cant really compare both. The NPL's still win hands down on their own as fixed f/l EP's.

Archived