celestron ep and filter kit?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it. I viewed the kit as a great starting point and when i get a better feeling for eyepieces i might get one or two more expensive ones. I can't complain about the eyepieces, but i have no reference as i've never used other eyepieces.

I have it - Its only been out for 10 mins in broken cloud as we've been so rained on since I got it.

I'd give you a verdict but I really wouldnt be able to just yet im afriad.

I can agree with the clouds I am just down the road from you near bicester.

I used it for the first time last night and noticed an improvement compared to the 'scope supplied' eyepieces.

I am only just starting so have minor experience regarding eyepieces and filters I'm sure some more seasoned Loungers will give you a more considered review in due course though

Personally I'd sooner recommend a small number of better EPs, each one chosen on its particular merits for its particular task and for your eyes.

Olly

I only have two eps that came with my scope and have never used and other eps as I don't know anyone else with one so Im not sure which ones are best for me and it will cost a lot more £ to buy them on there own :)

Personally I'd sooner recommend a small number of better EPs, each one chosen on its particular merits for its particular task and for your eyes.

Olly

As Olly says you would be better buying just a couple of good specific EPs, (and a good barlow lens) that suit you and your needs.

Plenty of members will be able to point you in the right direction.

Paul

As Olly says you would be better buying just a couple of good specific EPs, (and a good barlow lens) that suit you and your needs.

Plenty of members will be able to point you in the right direction.

Paul

My scope is in my signature below and I want to get everything I can out of it before I think about upgrading. The set it before £150ish in most places.

I think the Vixen NPL eyepieces provide good quality at a fairly affordable price - they range from £30 to £40 per eyepiece. The range is quite extensive to so you can select, say, 3 focal lengths that would give you a useful range of magnifications. For the Astromaster 70 I'd suggest the 8mm (113x), the 15mm (60x) and the 30mm (30x). Bought new thats a total cost of £100.

If you need to keep the cost lower I'd consider the used market and keep scanning the UK Astro Buy & Sell website.

I think the Vixen NPL eyepieces provide good quality at a fairly affordable price - they range from £30 to £40 per eyepiece. The range is quite extensive to so you can select, say, 3 focal lengths that would give you a useful range of magnifications. For the Astromaster 70 I'd suggest the 8mm (113x), the 15mm (60x) and the 30mm (30x). Bought new thats a total cost of £100.

If you need to keep the cost lower I'd consider the used market and keep scanning the UK Astro Buy & Sell website.

I would like to try some filter to see weather they work for me as I know some people don't get on with them?

As a newbie i bought it and really liked it. The 4mm EP was/is useless. The colour filters i hardly ever used. The Moon filter is good..........i still use it.

So when you add up the cost compared to what you will use often...........it can be a tad expensive.

Now my knowledge etc has grown i agree that fewer but better quality EP's really is the way to go. My personal choice of EP's these days are the Vixen NPL range. They retail new for about £30 and they really are a few steps up from the Celestrons included in the EP kit.

Honestly i am not saying DONT buy the kit. It served me well in the beginning. They hold their value pretty well if you want to re-sell in the future.

The 32mm EP in the Celestron kit was and still is my favourite EP that i have ever used.

I must agree with Paul, the 32mm is the best piece in the set. The rest are fairly mediocre and the filters not much help apart from the moon one. My set came included with a scope purchase, but I wouldn't have bought it on its own. The case is handy though.

I have this kit and it's one of my newbie mistakes before I knew better. The eyepieces are only a marginal upgrade on the supplied ones imho and for the price I don't consider it good vfm.

As some of the others have said I would rather have spent the money on a few good eyepieces at £30 to £40 retail or circa £25 each second hand. You'd get a much better upgrade for that. Alternatively - for only £30'ish more than the cost of a set you might like to consider a Baader 8-24mm zoom which is quite a considerable upgrade equivalent to 5 in 1 very good eyepieces.

If you have to get a set though, the Revelation offering is better vfm than the Celestron one and provides greater flexibility. :(

I decided to buy items as I needed them rather than getting a complete kit. I spent £88 on a 8mm and a 15mm BST Explorer to supplement the Skywatcher 25mm and 10mm that came with my scope.

I am very impressed with the 15mm, clearly superior the Skywatchers. I have only used the 8mm for a quick look at Saturn, before the cloudy weather arrived, so I will have to reserve judgement on that one.

I found Alan at Skies the Limit very helpful in helping my decide what to buy.

http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.html

I would like to try some filter to see weather they work for me as I know some people don't get on with them?

Your scope has an aperture of 70mm. Using filters just does not make sense to me with such a small aperture - why reduce further the light getting to your eye ?.

At the end of the day it's your call of course and I guess I can see the draw in getting a "lot of items" for your money but I honestly feel, as do a few of the other posters obviously, that using those funds to purchase just 2 or 3 good quality, selected, eyepieces will give you more satisfaction in the long run.

As has been said two or more quality eye pieces would be be preferable rather than a cased set, with a refractor scope of the aperture you posses, you would find that an Orthoscopic eye piece, to give you up to 100X, should provide you with excellent close up views of the Moon and other heavenly targets and a quality plossl ep, with a wider FOV, for more general work. These eye pieces are likely to stay with you when, as you say, want to upgrade, with a cased basic eye piece set, you might find that after your experience grows, that in the long run, the only thing you will want to keep is the case :(

Archived