Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rho Ophiuchi Region on B&W Film

Nightfly

Difficult to capture due to its southerly declination, the region around Antares and Rho Ophiuchi is perhaps the most colorful area in the sky. So why shoot on B&W film? Two words: Dark Nebulae. The dark streamers east of Antares are visible under the darkest skies, and are wonderful in binoculars.

This is full frame from the Pentax 6x7 and 165mm f/2.8 lens @ f/4 using Fuji Aros 100 B&W film developed in Xtol. Forty minutes exposure brought out the bright and dark nebulae of this most spectacular region of the sky. The negative was digitized via an Epson V600 scanner. Post processing was done in Photoshop with Neat Image.

I hope you enjoy the image, writ large for appreciation.

AcrosJune2011006a_1280.jpg

I'm glad you all liked it. Thanks you all, Olly, Gina, Spikey, Lewis, Gaz, and Zul ! I hope I didn't violate posting rules with such a large image. Many forums in the U.S. forbid anything larger than 800 pixels on a side and demand very compressed files. One of the great advantages of SGL is being able to put up such a "large" image. It allows me to convey the image as intended.

This region of the southern Milky Way as seen here in the northeastern U.S. is such a beauty. I often view other regions, but this is where the excitement and action is. I enjoy panning acros this region with binoculars during summer months and is the heart of the Milky Way.

Thank you all again for the kind remarks.

Jim

Stunning stuff, so much dust showing up - you must have very dark skies! Is that a meteor on the left?

Lucky for us he imaged it in colour not so long ago :)http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/185919-rho-ophiuchus-milky-way.html

I believe it was a brief meteor. It would have to been fairly bright to register on the film, perhaps magnitude 2+. Catching one is happenstance of course. Nice when it does occur!

What's your latitude?

44.53 North, but I do have trees to my south. I can image down to -30 degrees declination. I have a fixed pier and roll off roof facility. I have setup at the ocean an imaged down to -45~ and would like to do that again! Fun stuff.

Archived