Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick rain question - possibly urgent

Just been caught outside in the rain & my secondary caught about 16 drops before I managed to get inside. The primary didn't catch any as I was lined up for Saturn - so that's good.

Do I wipe them off or leave them to dry? If I wipe them off, what with?

Googling for telescope mirrors & rain brings up photon analogies. What is the best course of action?

Not being a reflector man myself, but knowing how strange our weather can be at times, when it starts to rain when the sky is clear ( rain borne on the wind from an impending shower ) would not a waterproof cloth to hand, ready to chuck over the aperture, be useful, giving you time to put other items of value under cover, just a thought :)

A warning about deionised, or distilled water.

If you get distilled water, that contains nothing but water. It will evaporate leaving nothing behind and does not contain abrasive particles.

De-ionised water, which is cheaper and easier to buy, may well contain impurities that are not electrically active but may have other impact.

For example, water with fine sand or glass particles is free from ionic content and therefore deionised.

Archived