NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sunday 6th May - Leith Hill Astro Festival

jam1e1

Seems a bit strange to host it on the full moon.:D

It surely would have made more sense to host it around half phase. At least people would have something to look at in the sky. At full moon nothing looks good.

I might pop up during the day, not sure I'll bother with the observing session in the evening for the above reason.

at least you can see where your going at night then :D yeah does seem a bit strange. interested in looking through a solar scope - may get one but want to see what views are like. Had some interesting talks last year so will look at agenda nearer time to see when to head down (providing not raining!)

Solar scopes are great, best used with a DMK imager to get the most from the scope, same goes for white light too. Check out for instance mark town lets website for examples of what is obtainable..... http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/

... And the sun is constantly changing.....

I got a work colleague who might be going along.

Cheers

PEterW

I hope to be there with the little Mak. It's a great place to observe from I think. I just hope the weather is better than the last time - thick low cloud!

Hadn't thought about the Solar side of things - Getting there whilst it's still light sounds like a plan.

The only fly in the ointment is that I may have to work that weekend but I will hopefully escape that.

• 2 weeks later...
A real shame ;) We were looking forward to it a lot. It must be a massive headache for all those who have done so much organising in the background.
Apart from the foul weather cancellation, the stupid date eg biggest full moon of year is probably a repeat date from last year's event and nobody in charge checked the lunar calendar .... and you have to pay to attend which is a cheek on public/National Trust ground so unenforceable - pass:D

Apart from the foul weather cancellation, the stupid date eg biggest full moon of year is probably a repeat date from last year's event and nobody in charge checked the lunar calendar .... and you have to pay to attend which is a cheek on public/National Trust ground so unenforceable - pass:D

was it a pay event? I did'nt see any reference to entrance fees on the website

Dunno, wasn't last year. Well not that i noticed, no one asked me for money when I went there.

Deffinitily think the full moon thing was a schoolboy error. I mean it's the first thing you check if organising any Astro event surely.

Archived